Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: OpenACS 5 Install on Win2k

Collapse
Posted by Frank Bergmann on
Hi Jamie,

thanks for the reply.

<blockquote> I think my distribution includes [...]
</blockquote>
I had no problems getting your stuff to work. It was just a comment for other (less experienced) users...

Apart from that there were two other ideas from Malte and John Sequeira. It seems Malte is preparing an install on Knoppix to lower the barriers of testing the his software. And John told me about his all-TCL AOLServer emulation that should work fine with Apache for very small systems, so that mod_nsd wouldn't be necessary.

<blockquote> installer creation
</blockquote>
I haven't condered nothing particular yet, because it's some 10 years since I last actively dealt with Windows itself (thanks god!!).

Currently, the availability of a native win32 Postgres is the most important factor influencing the decision. Would you be interesting in working on a "unified" installation in the case it comes out within the next 3 month? I could commit some 1-2 weeks of full-time work on this, particularly on the tcl, configuration, documentation and testing side to create a commercial-grade software (I don't know if it would make sense to get into Win installer programming at my advanced age... 😊.  Also, producing a reasonable sample configuration takes considerable effort...

However, as I said, the critical moment for us is around april 2004, and meanwhile we have to port Project/Open (a continuation of the old ACS 3.4 intranet) to OpenACS and Postgres...

Cheers,
Frank