Forum OpenACS Q&A: Devel OpenACS Machine?

Collapse
Posted by Chris Hardy on
In the midst of all the bug squashing that I'm doing, I'm a bit
paranoid that I may have my setup wrong :). Has anyone that of setting
up a dev.openacs.org that would be a running version of the CVS code?
Collapse
Posted by Ben Adida on
Are you really doing a lot of bug squashing? I mean, if that's the case, that's great, but I run OpenACS on *many* boxes, and I don't have that many bugs. The http://new.openacs.org box runs the latest CVS right now, and my goal is to always keep it up to date. I can set up a dev.openacs.org if there's enough interest that will be just the raw CVS install that people can just screw around with.

Thoughts? Votes? Let me know if this is of interest to people. Also, if someone else wants to take on that responsibility (the dev.openacs.org box), I'm happy to see that happen!

Collapse
Posted by Chris Hardy on
Well, part of the reason I like the idea of having a dev.openacs.org that can be used for testing, is to have a baseline, so I can see if my installation is just screwed up, or if it's a real problem.
Collapse
Posted by Neophytos Demetriou on
A dev.openacs.org site would be a nice thing to do for the same reasons that Chris mentions.
Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
Well, he's dipping into intranet, and I found and fixed two bugs in it  when I just played around with it for a couple of hours a couple of weekends ago ...

I think a reference installation would be good, yes.  For 4.0 it might be nice to have a vanilla Oracle version to refer to.  I've done the latter on my own when I've been curious as to whether or not bizarre behavior exists due to a mistake in the port, or an inherent problem in ACS Classic that correctly got ported over (care to guess which case is most common?).

Setting up and running reference installations would be a great way for someone who isn't helping to port to help us out.

Collapse
Posted by Chris Hardy on
Ok, while we are at it, I'm curious how we document the following (through the SDM?)  I was setting up the e-commerce module, and found 1) it makes a call to /usr/local/bin/convert which is actually ImageMagick which resides in /usr/X11R6/bin/convert on most RedHat machines (And I think alot of other Linux's) So I had to make a link to that, and then after that I found that it also needs a directory /data/ecommerce/product which isn't in the base distrobution. (And the mkdir call will fail every time, until that's fixed)..  Stuff like this needs to be documented so it's a easy setup for joe user.
Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
It's easy to report documentation bugs or oversights (the first of those is I believe documented for ACS Classic, not sure about the second, but regardless they should be in our install docs, too) - when  you click on the "software" link at the top of the openacs home page,  you'll see one of the "software" packages is actually the documentation.

So just open up that package and report the problem.

Collapse
Posted by james shannon on
I'd consider setting up a dev server if there is enough demand for it and we decide not to put it on the nice, fast, powerful openacs box.

I would just have to take into consideration company issues, security issues, and power/bandwidth issues. The first and third shouldn't be a problem.

Collapse
Posted by Ben Adida on
actually, now that we've moved to the new RocketStart server, it really should be set up on that box which has plenty of spare CPU cycles. I will write a quick script that recreates the entire DB every night at 5am or something, with the latest CVS. How does that sound?
Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
Sounds good to me!