Posted by Dave Bauer on
I get the following error when attempting to add a new poll:
Error: nsd.tcl: can't read "QQname": no such variable
    can't read "QQname": no such variable
        while executing
    "set insert_sql "
    insert into polls
        (poll_id, name, description,
         start_date, end_date, require_registration_p)
    values
        ($poll_id, '$QQname'..."
        (file "/web/xxxxxx/www/admin/poll/poll-new-2.tcl" line 61)
        invoked from within
    "source $script"
        (procedure "ns_sourceproc" line 6)
        invoked from within
    "ns_sourceproc cns44 {}"
    Notice: starting: waiting for connections
I am not sure where to begin looking for this.
Collapse
Posted by Rocael Hernández Rizzardini on
Hey, I would like to help you, so please put some more info about what you have done before getting this message in your log file
Collapse
3: additional information (response to 1)
Posted by Dave Bauer on
Sure, I wasn't sure exactly what to post.

First off, I seem to have a functioning installation of OpenACS 3.2.3 using Postgres 7.01 on Readhat Linux 6.2. I have plenty of RAM and free disk space available. BBoards are working fine.

I enter the admin page http://www.thedesignexperience.org/admin/poll/

and click on "create a new poll" which brings me to:
http://www.thedesignexperience.org/admin/poll/poll-new.tcl

From there I enter the poll name "New" for a test and enter a poll description : "New Poll".

I selected the start date to be today (8/19/2000) and end date to be ( 9/19/2000). I left the registration required field unselected. Then I clicked on the create button.

I receieve a "Server Error
The server encountered a configuration or operating system error while attempting to satisfy your request." message.

When I checked the logs using Wathdog I got the message I posted before.

Thanks for your assistance. I am just started getting back into programming after 15 years or so and OpenACS is a complicated system to jump right into.

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
I just tried creating a poll with the latest CVS sources and had no problem.  Try going to sourceforge and pulling out the latest copy via  anonymous cvs.
Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
I figured out how to retrieve the files from CVS, but I am not sure how to integrate that with my site. Do I need to reinstall ACS and the data model? Or can I just copy the files over the old ones.

Sorry for all the questions. I though I had everything working OK after following the installation instructions.

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
No need to apologize.  If you've not already invested much effort in setting stuff up (bboards, etc, from the admin pages) or customizing scripts, it's probably easiest to just dump your database, download new stuff, and redo it.  Your nsd.tcl shouldn't need to change.

Once you've done this a few times it really only takes a few minutes to replace an existing version with a new one.

Of course, once you have an active site up and running or have built all your forums, project and that kind of thing it is a totally different story!  My personal production site's a weird blend of ACS 1.0->3.2 :(

Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
It works.

I dropped my database, removed my acs directory, then installed from
the CVS and recreated the database.

I think I will test the rest of the modules I plan on using, and maybe some others before customizing this too much.

I don't really know where the problem was. I compared the files I though were involved and they all looked the same to me. I guess I have a lot to learn.

Collapse
Posted by Rocael Hernández Rizzardini on
Nice to hear that it works, Don has answered your question so my comments were not necessary, but the next time when you load your data model you can do like the instructions say about it, do psql -f load-data-model.sql yourdb 2> datamodel.txt. Then you'll be able to check (with emacs and ctrl-s of course) if there is some bugs during that loading and fix it or redo it!