Forum OpenACS Q&A: Free ACSJobs.net website

Collapse
Posted by Allan Regenbaum on
Please note that effective immediately, Digital People has sponsored
an ACS jobs site at http://www.acsjobs.net
We believe that the success of the ACS also depends upon an active
market of available skills and development opportunities.

This site is provided as a free venue for the development of such a
marketplace.

Enjoy, and prosper.

Collapse
Posted by Adam Farkas on
Nice Job, Allan!
Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
Oops, I typed in acsjob.com and got a VERY different site!  Lots of jobs, though!

You site looks interesting, too...now you just need some ads to appear.

Collapse
Posted by Allan Regenbaum on
It goes both ways ... companies with projects have a perception that aD owns all of the skills.... so developers need to post availability in order that project owners can get a glimpse of the quality of people out there.... On the other hand, corporations dont hand out projects to individuals....perhaps dispersed ACS professionals can leverage the web to collaboratively develop and deliver larger projects....  We will see how this site evolves over the next couple of weeks.... no jobs or opportunities, no reason to have a site ...IMHO, we at least will get a better handle on whether there is a reasonable chance that all of this ACS work will provide ROI..
Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
IMHO, we at least will get a better handle on whether there is a reasonable chance that all of this ACS work will provide ROI..
Well, in my case ACS work is providing about 2/3 of my Y2K income (anyone remember what "Y2K" stands for? :)

So I think the potential is there. Of course, ROI depends on your I, and in my case I've only invested "I" (my time) vs. "I" investment, with my time being invested to build personal projects. Paid work is gravy.

But trying to map potential to real life is why I suggested you run a couple of polls (suggestion made in private e-mail, not here). Answers to questions similar to mine might be interesting (and feel free to modify my suggestions to your heart's content if you run a couple of polls).

Collapse
Posted by Michael Feldstein on
I don't think that a couple of weeks is nearly enough time to tell you whether there is a market for an ACS jobs board. I, for one, have a strong interest in seeing a market grow because I hope to sell a lot of ACS-based solutions and I'm not a programming shop. (I design the business stuff and leave the programming to partners and subcontractors.)  I sell almost exclusively to the HR and training departments of large corporations. In that sort of an environment, the sales cycle is 3-6 months. IMO, we are just getting to the point now with ACS 4.0 where it's feasible for somebody other than aD to sell the ACS into a corp. If you do the math, that means it may be 3-6 months before I'll be looking for programming talent. (I have a few advance leads that may close faster, but those are already promised to people.)

I don't know what the sales cycle for Internet jobs is; my guess is that it's significantly shorter. Still, two weeks is a very short period of time for a test.

BTW, I will have a much easier time selling to corporations if I can show them that there's a healthy market of ACS talent out there. They don't want to be dependent on me forever and their IT departments often would rather hire expertise (either on a consulting or a permanent basis) than train their existing staff to maintain and upgrade the system.

There is a potential snowball effect here. You should stick to your guns for as long as possible.

Collapse
Posted by Li-fan Chen on

I'm just adding the word employment and employee in this thread so that it will show up in search. Sorry to do this but I posted a job classified-oriented Q&A thread just moments earlier when I couldn't find "employee" or "employment" with the openacs search engine!! Ooops. Reason I did the search first is because I had this nagging suspicion that there must be some employment related threads already... I guess I am right after all :) Bad search engine Bad! Bad doggie :) Anyway...

Keyword: Jobs, employees, employment, hiring, work, hire, career, etc.