Forum OpenACS Q&A: Bug Bash / Gettogether in Copenhagen March 25-26

I will be in Copenhagen from March 24th to 26th and would be interested in having a meeting (e.g. in form of a bug bash) then. I already got a preliminary yes from Lars, and Dirk and Malte were also interested. If you're interested, just drop a line to this thread so we can start thinking about what we're gonna do then.
Collapse
Posted by Guan Yang on
+1
Collapse
Posted by Lars Pind on
I'm in.
Collapse
Posted by Bruce Spear on
I will be interested in participating if there are some who would like to work on the user interface or other issues that concern the .LRN UAB.  I'd like to do some strategic thinking on interface design, or what I'm learning now might better be called, after Alan Cooper, interaction design.  I' also like to work on a specific portlet, such as the forums, beginning, say, with an exploration of how others have done it, determining what a "best in class" forum might be, and then working systematically from top to bottom, from interface down through openacs logic and postgre/oracle database design, so I might better understand the openacs architecture, which is new to me, and how the experienced programmers relate to it.  If a couple people are interested in something like this, the bug bash format would be a great place to do it as we could then bother those with more experience to explain what is going on.  I was so impressed with the way Joel organized the testing group in Berlin that I think a project with some planning beforehand is the way to go, so, let's hash it out a bit here!  Since some of us are trying to develop the .LRN User Advisory Board, I'd also be interested in playing the guinea pig for those working on other portlets, playing a "I'll give you my 2 cents opinion" role.  Maybe we could arrange a chat with other members of the UAB and gain a little practice integrating the UAB in the design process.  Any one of these projects would be enough for me!

Bruce

Collapse
Posted by Paul Doerwald on
Not completely confirmed yet, but it's looking likely that I'll be there as well.

Can I throw a suggestion into the pot? I'd be interested in migrating search from OpenFTS to tsearch2, which is like OpenFTS but completely implemented in the database as functions and triggers. It will actually reduce a lot of the complexity that currently exists with OpenFTS implementations. If anyone's interested, I'd be happy to explain more of what I've been thinking.

For more information on tsearch2: http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/postgres/gist/tsearch/V2/

Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
Paul,

Great idea! As you already know I am interested in getting tsearch2 working on OpenACS. I won't be able to attend, but I might be able to coordinate remotely via IRC.

Collapse
Posted by Nima Mazloumi on
How difficult and long is it do you think to get from Malmö to Copenhagen by train?
Collapse
Posted by Dirk Gomez on
It's a little less involving than Mannheim to Frankfurt.

If you take the bus, you'll enjoy a scenic ride.

Collapse
Posted by Joel Aufrecht on
It takes twenty or thirty minutes to go from downtown Malmo to downtown Copenhagen by train, and costs I think ~10 euros.
Collapse
Posted by Nima Mazloumi on
Carl and I are coming also.

Maybe some of the pro can spend an hour with me and explain to me a bit on development using acs-objects and integrating a package with dotLRN.

Looking forward to the meeting,
Nima

Collapse
Posted by Joel Aufrecht on
Can we get a head count so we can plan space?  So far we have

Definite
Joel
Peter
Lars
Guan
Carl
Nima
Jarkko

Possible
Paul
Bruce

Collapse
Posted by Bruce Spear on
Hi!  Paul and I are meeting in an your to buy our train tickets to Copenhagen, and maybe one of you might do me the favor of suggesting, maybe off the forum, a cheap pension that I might call?  Count us IN!

Bruce

Collapse
Posted by Jarkko Laine on
Cool,

It seems we are going to be quite a few after all :)

Bruce: Last year in Copenhagen quite many of us were staying in Hotel Absalon (http://www.absalon-hotel.dk/). It's only a few steps from the main railway station. It has both normal hotel and a cheaper version with common toilets. However, a real bargain could be to try to get a suite which is only DKK1375 per night and can accommodate 3-4 persons. See Absalon Hotel => Rooms and Rates => Top Floor Suites for details.

Collapse
Posted by Julie Sanders on
I'll be there
Collapse
Posted by Denis Barut on
I will also participate
Collapse
Posted by Bruce Spear on
We've got our transportation and hotel (Maritime, the Absalom was booked out), the only thing we need is location and contact numbers, or do we look for wandering programmers, people who've got "the look"?
Collapse
Posted by Guan Yang on
Yes. We will all be wearing T-shirts with the OpenACS logo on the front (Alex the Dog) and "I <heart> TCL" on the back.
I'm moving to The City that week so I'm hoping to be there...
Guan, where can I get the t-shirt? 😊
Collapse
Posted by Guan Yang on
Location will be Collaboraid's office. Steffen: You can make it yourself. Print out images of the logo and "I <heart> TCL" and stable them to a T-shirt of your choice. 😉
Collapse
Posted by Jarkko Laine on
Re T-Shirt: What happened to the cph'03 t-shirts? :)
Collapse
Posted by Guan Yang on
In case anyone's wondering, I will be there tomorrow (March 26). Couldn't make it Thursday.

Guan