Forum OpenACS Q&A: Several projects open for bidding

Collapse
Posted by Jade Rubick on
Hi everyone,

At IBR, my place of employment, we are just finishing up our migration to OpenACS from ACS 3. In the process, we have developed project-manager to substitute for the ACS Intranet's projects and tickets.

Work on project manager is finishing up, although there are still quite a few things I need to do before releasing version 1.0. However, we are soliciting outside bids to complete some of the work we need to complete in order to have a functional intranet. I have my hands full with the upgrade, and I don't really have the time to get to these things, but they are needed before we can move the company to OpenACS. Some of these may not actually happen -- we'll have to do a little cost/benefit analysis after we receive the bids. However, these are all short-term projects you might be interested in.

Note that I am open to having other companies step forward with financing to help share the burden here. It's more likely for it to happen if others are able to step forward with resources (time and/or money). Also, if anyone is interested in doing this pro bono, the whole community is going to benefit from the code, as it will be released to the whole community.

Project #1: logger / project-manager integration

Logger was written with a future project-manager application in mind. However, some work has to be done integrating the two applications. Currently, project-manager stores both the estimated amount of time and actual amount of time a Task will take in the pm_tasks_revisions table. However, logger tracks logged time in its own tables. I'm soliciting a proposed plan to integrate or allow integration between these two packages, and a a bid for how much you would charge to do the work. Once approved, this would need to be completed fairly quickly -- hopefully in two or three weeks.

Project #2: project-manager / calendar integration

Our current intranet (ACS 3 based) uses a modified calendar to show tickets on the calendar. This has proven to be a popular way of tracking deadlines for our company. However, while developing project manager, I didn't have the time to look into integrating project deadlines and task deadlines on the calendar. I'm soliciting a proposal on how to integrate these two packages, and a bid for how much you would charge to do the work. Once approved, this would need to be completed fairly quickly -- hopefully in two or three weeks.

Notes: If you're interested in looking at the most recent project-manager code, bug me, and I'll commit more recent code changes. I'm in the middle of moving a lot of the code into namespace-based /tcl procs, and cleaning up the way I use the content repository, so I don't want to commit until it's actually back in a workable state. If you do look at project-manager, look at it in CVS on the openacs-5-0 branch.

I might also have some other projects available soon, so make sure you subscribe to this thread if you're interested. I'll post them here.

I imagine I'll be asked some questions after this is posted, so I will follow up with responses here.

Collapse
Posted by Andrei Popov on
Jade,

Not committing to either of the bids above, I'd like to take alook at latest & greatest.  Am not sure whether this warrants the ci, i suppose I could live witha tarball from your fs...

Collapse
Posted by Lars Pind on
Me too. What's the best way for us to learn the details of your work?

/Lars

Collapse
Posted by Jade Rubick on
I'll post or commit it as soon as I get in to work tomorrow.
Collapse
Posted by Jade Rubick on
I'm preparing the code for a stable-ish update. I'll put it up in an hour or two.

Someone asked about when the deadline was for bids. I think Tuesday evening, Pacific time, sounds about right to me. So slightly less than one week from now.

Collapse
Posted by Jade Rubick on
I've committed project-manager 0.7d to the openacs-5-0-0 branch
Collapse
Posted by Jade Rubick on
Followup to another person's questions:

The project would need to be completed within a couple weeks of approval. I assume it will take a week or two after submission before it is approved. The short time-line is the main reason I'm outsourcing this instead of doing it myself. Hmm, maybe I should go read the mythical man-month.

Collapse
Jade,

What branch is it in, exactly?  Last check-in dates don't seem to agree with your post date -- there's been some problems in SQL files (customer_id and some other columns weren't defined as part of data model) that are part of APM in the package repository.  Looking via CVS Browser shows most recent updates 13 days ago -- which is in January...

Collapse
Posted by Jade Rubick on
It seems the name of the branch is

oacs-5-0

Perhaps that's the wrong place to be committing it? Please let me know if so. I believe that is the 5.0 branch, but i could be mistaken.

Collapse
No, this time it is ok -- there are your updates as of 4 days ago and Lars' 20 hour ago :)