Forum OpenACS Q&A: AolServer 3.1 and OpenACS nsd.tcl file

I've begun installing Aolserver 3.1 for use with OpenACS, and I'm
wondering if the installation guide's default nsd.tcl is going to work
without modification for Aolserver 3.1......
Collapse
Posted by Dan Wickstrom on
I haven't tried it yet myself, but based on what I've heard about the changes to 3.1, I would guess that there wouldn't be any problems as far as setting up Openacs.  Of course if you do encounter any problems, we would be glad to hear about them :).
Collapse
Posted by Jade Rubick on
It seems like it works well. I think I had to comment out the nsjava section, because the stock Aolserver didn't have nsjava or even the nspostgres libraries, and you couldn't compile them in either... I think.
Collapse
Posted by Jim Lynch on
Hi,

If the top-level Makefile is similar to the one in aolsrv-3.0, you should find the part that lists the modules to compile and make available for loading near the top. Just add the word "nspostgres" and rebuild.

Collapse
Posted by Dan Wickstrom on
If you build the driver from the aolserver sources, the shared library will be called nspostgres.so.  The reference nsd.tcl file for openacs references the postgres driver library file as postgres.so, so you'll need to change the name of the library file or change the reference in nsd.tcl.  Also, I haven't looked at the driver in aolserver 3.1, but you'll probably need to add -DFOR_ACS_USE to the CFLAGS directive in the nspostgres makefile.  By default, they probably don't include the Openacs extensions to the postgres driver.
Collapse
Posted by Jade Rubick on
I might be mistaken, but when I looked in the Makefile for
AolServer 3.1, there wasn't an option to compile in the Postgres
driver. I just downloaded it from the website and compiled it
separately, and it worked fine.
Collapse
Posted by Jim Lynch on
Hi,

A serious bug in nspostgres is fixed in the sourceforge cvs of nspostgres, which is a part of the aolserver project.

The bug crashes the whole server when Ns_DbSelect() is called with an sql select string that asks for a nonexistant table.

You can browse the CVS.

Collapse
Posted by Roberto Mello on
I wonder if this bug hadn't been fixed long ago in the OpenACS version of the PG driver hacked by Don and Lamar.