Forum OpenACS Q&A: Brown Bag Lunch in Boston For (O)ACS 4 Site Developers and Managers

Zipcar and Ybos Corp are having a brown bag lunch on Thursday February 26 from Noon to 1 pm.

We're getting together to present some work we've done in the last year or so to each other, and thought it would be fun if others wanted to come.

Zipcar will be talking about running a LARGE heavily loaded site, and Oracle optimizations. We'll be presenting some of our CMS widgets and Dreamweaver / Designer integrations.

If you're interested in joining us, feel free! We'll be meeting at 84 Hamilton Street, Cambridge, MA 02144. E-mail me if you'd like to come, or present.

Sounds great! I'll be there. Thanks for posting Peter.
Is this event still on for tomorrow?
Absolutely.
I couldn't make it today, but I'm rather interested in both the widgets and the Dreamweaver integration.  Peter or Caroline, could you post a summary?  (Maybe even some code?)
I (for obvious reasons) could not be there, but I am also intrigued by the DW integration piece.  We use DW here.  Please post some more about that.
The short is that it's a package we wrote which ties some of the important ADP concepts into Dreamweaver's rendering stage.

Particularly, if you put table elements in a multiple, Dreamweaver has some serious problems.

Our software renders the multiples, and deals with if tags in a sane fashion.

Our designers just edit the adp, and upload it directly to the server.

Caroline Meeks asked me about pricing: we're still thinking about it, but I'll post here when we've sorted out what we'd like to do with it.

The more I think about this, the more I think we should open source it. If someone will agree to maintain the code, we'd happily open source it in exchange.

The code does not rely on any OpenACS/ACS modifications, although it works better if you symlink the packages directory under the web directory. It's all extensions written in dreamweaver, which means javascript and a bit of XML.  Can anyone get me in touch with a willing volunteer?

The reason I'd like to open source it is that it's just not together enough to sell in good conscience, we can't price it in a way that makes sense for us, and I'd like for other people to make it better.

If it will help, we could host a CVS server for it. It probably doesn't deserve its own site.

Volunteers?

Peter, how is the file transfer back up to the server managed, once you save from dreamweaver?
Looks like I just replied to Andrew via e-mail..

in MX 2004, you get SFTP, which is great. Earlier versions have ftp only, so we bridged ssh to ftp using a free open source version of mindterm modified to play nice with Dreamweaver.

Dreamweaver also works with some cvs type setups (although I don't _think_ it works with cvs), but we do our archiving and backups seperately from our design process.

Hi, Peter.

I haven't noticed this message till today.

We can't maintain the code, but we are very interested to try it.

It's possible to upload the code to 'contrib' or activate the cvs you have mentioned?.

Thanks.

/Jorge