Forum OpenACS Development: Re: ad_form for new and edit requests

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
Well, my overall reaction is that my nice, simple ad_form idea has been fubar'd beyond belief.  I had no idea that people were turning into a general record display mechanism.

No wonder no one - including me - understands how it works any more!

For the record, Ola ... the WHOLE IDEA behind the form template builder is to combine add/edit scripts into one.  ad_form makes it very easy to do so as it understands the form builder's state information, simplifying things.  So I'm glad you've taken this approach though folding in display, too - YUK.  GROSS.  DISGUSTING.

I'm depressed that folks are writing separate add and edit/view scripts.  The benefit of being able to share a single form declaration for both add and edit functions should be obvious.  This sharing's 90% of the point of taking the form builder approach.  Apparently the adding of the display functionality has made combining add/edit scripts along with display functionality enough of a hassle that people are giving up on that, as has Joel in his example.

There are many fundamental differences between a template that displays data and a form handling page.  The FORM tag comes to mind among other things ...

I called it "ad_form" for a reason ...

Collapse
Posted by Joel Aufrecht on
Don, can you explain how this functionality can be more easily coded in 5.0.0, using form template builder?
Collapse
Posted by Roberto Mello on
Don,

Let me see if I understand what you're saying...

form builder should be used to add and edit data, but not viewing.

CR/CMS should be used to display data, but currently there's no Tcl API (or is there in bcms-ui?)

Did I get this right? If I did, what's the recommended way to display data that one would perhaps also want to edit, in 5.0?

-Roberto