Forum OpenACS Improvement Proposals (TIPs): TIP #49 (Rejected): Change form-builder's spellchecker's default behavior

The spellchecker functionality built into the form builder has the spell checking functionality activated by default, causing a "Spell Check?" dialog to appear by every text area created through the form builder. The developer has to turn it off on a per-field basis with a "nospell" parameter to the widget.

I postulate -- based purely on empirical experience and on rants from fellow developers on #openacs -- that most often we DON'T want any spell checking done. The default "spell check" dialog becomes an annoyance in those cases.

I propose the spell checker's default behavior be changed to NOT spell check. The developer wanting spell check behavior would have to add a "spell" parameter to the widget it wants spellchecking done on.

The OpenACS is not used exclusively by developers. In fact, most people that use it are explicitly *NOT* developers.

Whether it should be made default or not should be considered by a wider audience than just the geeks on #openacs (of which I am one.)

talli

However the decision on whether or not a textarea should have spellchecking available is made by developers.
When they make that decision based on whether or not they like it *as* developers, that's when the system gets overtaken by geeks and loses usability.

Take a look through the former (and many current) OpenACS admin pages to get a sense of what I'm talking about.

I'm not arguing whether or not the HTML default area should be default; just that postulating (and I think Roberto meant "positing") something because a small elite doesn't like it often results in bad decisions.

talli

Roberto,

There's a parameter in acs-templating that even a non-developer may operate called "SpellcheckFormWidgets". If you set it to "" all spellchecking will be disabled throughout the form builder forms. Thus there is no need to specify "nospell" all around the place!

That param currently doesn't default to "" but perhaps it should?

Do you think this would solve the issue or is there more to it that I'm missing?

(My thinking when I developed the spellchecker was that it probably would be more logical to globally enable  spellchecking in all the form widgets that were activated by the mentioned param and let the developer specify the exceptions to the rule than it would be to let him/her specify the ones where it should be enabled. But, of course, that is just a matter of taste, and I think I asked for the opinion of others, but maybe I didn't ...)

At first I didn't like it.  After looking at it more and disabling it via the parameter.  I think its ok.  I think we should enable it by default.  It just that during development, we tend to put "hjflkdajflja" on textareas for testing.

Lets leave it as is.  I would like to ask Ola or Roberto to improve the doc, as its a bit confusing at first on how to set the parameter.

Collapse
7: Vetoed (response to 6)
Posted by Tilmann Singer on
The concept Ola explained makes sense I think - enable spellchecking globally for certain widgets, e.g. textareas only, and disable it on case to case basis, assuming that most textareas are supposed to be filled with text that makes sense to spellcheck, whereas there are few textareas that are an exception to that and they would be easy to tag with :nospell.

I usually switch the spell checking feature off because I don't want to bother with setting it up correctly and I believe those who need it can as well activate spell checking on their browsers, but that's easy to do with the current parameter set up.

Marking Vetoed - by the rules, poster should ask for a full vote within 2 days or else it stands as vetoed.