Forum OpenACS Q&A: chat

Collapse
1: chat
Posted by Ben Koot on
Hi folks,
Can anybody enlighten me what it would cost to port oacs 5 chat to postgres? Muy budget is very thight, but would mean a lot to continue using oacs chat.

Thanks
Ben

Collapse
2: Re: chat (response to 1)
Posted by Ben Koot on
Hi folks,

I found a temp solution in http://www.chatzy.com/ If you take a closer look at this hosted service, you will notice that this is almost the 3.25 chat, with a few simple adjustments that make life easier.  I am interested to hear form anybody who is interestd to modify ACS chat and port to postgres, so it offers the same basic functionality. In trying to find the budget it would be great to ahve an idea about the amount of funding needed.

Cheers
Ben

Collapse
3: Re: chat (response to 2)
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
Not sure why you'd like to use a web based chat system as they are unusable in my opinion and we have jabber integration in OpenACS....
Collapse
4: Re: chat (response to 3)
Posted by Ben Koot on
Hi Malte,

I was under the impression Jabber only works with Oracle. lus not having to download anything on the user pc is benefit.

Cheers
Ben

Collapse
5: Re: chat (response to 1)
Posted by Jonathan Ellis on
I maintain NFC chat which works quite well with oacs. contrib/ has the pgsql scripts that I use with my OACS 3.x install.
Collapse
6: Re: chat (response to 1)
Posted by Ben Koot on
I used acs 3.25 chat and oacs 4.6 which worked fine, however it's impossible to run 3.25 and 5.03 on 1 server, as far as I found out. If there is a solution to this it solve my problem.

Thanks
Ben

Collapse
7: Re: chat (response to 6)
Posted by Tilmann Singer on
If you have an irc server and accept java applets you can also use this now: openacs-4/contrib/packages/irc-applet
Collapse
8: Re: chat (response to 1)
I used to use IRC, but when I got tired of it's gaping security holes and administration headaches I moved to NFC.  (IRC is also blocked by more firewalls.)  But IRC can work for a small site.
Collapse
9: Re: chat (response to 1)
oh yeah, IRC also gives you utter lack of customizability due to all the existing IRC servers being a teeming pile of crufty C code, all derived from the original dating back to the very early 90s, and none exhibiting much design clue.

Because NFC's codebase doesn't suck, it now supports authentication to a database (including setting admin levels there), database-backed "chatmail" (messages to offline users will be delivered when they come online), database-backed per-room access control, database-backed per-user custom welcome messages, [optional] deflation of message packets, and more.  These are all features I added in the last year, with the exception of the first.

Good luck getting a C-coded irc server to even talk to your database. :)

Collapse
10: Re: chat (response to 1)
Posted by Nima Mazloumi on
Hi Jonathan,
with added you mean to the NFC server or to OpenACS?
Greetings,
Nima
Collapse
11: Re: chat (response to 1)
Posted by David Kuczek on
Jonathan,

do you have a HowTo on your NFC solution for OACS 3.X... I also have an old site running OACS 3.25 and would like to offer my users a chat!

Thanks

Collapse
12: Re: chat (response to 1)
see doc/using nfc with a database.html and contrib/postgresql.sql

(you probably want the latest code from cvs, btw.)