Forum OpenACS Development: Re: i18n of content repository content

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
Jun - the deletion of the original document question's a good one.  The reason Dave and I both thought about using cr_child_rel is because we both like the notion of denoting a "source document" and its translations.  In other words, we don't simply have a set of related documents but rather the original document is an authoritative one.  We felt like a translator would want to know which document is the authoritative source document, and translate from that (assuming they're fluent in the source language, no problem if you're hiring a translation service).  Translating from (say) English to Chinese and then to French seems more dodgy than simply translating from English to French, for instance ... more opportunity for error.

Of course not everyone will care about the "original" vs. "set of translations" relationship but we felt we should support it    natively in whatever datamodel/API Dave develops.

As far as relating other objects ... I see that as outside the scope of the content repository.  If an application wants to relate a set of translators to each translation, it can use acs-rels to do so easily enough or its own private methodology.  The project Dave's working on may require this and if so that code should be available as it is all to be GPL'd, so perhaps that could be turned into a generally useful API for others.

But outside the CR, I would think.  Remember the CR's used for a lot of things other than documents.  Such features could lie in some sort of common CMS API as we get further down the CMS path, perhaps?