Forum OpenACS Q&A: New OpenACS RPM's (testing needed..)

Collapse
Posted by Adam Farkas on
We (ArsDigita) have developed a series of RPMs for installing OpenACS + Apache/mod_aolserver + PG 7.03. These packages are presently known to work on RH 6.1,6.2, and 7.0. SuSE versions are forthcoming.

The packages install & properly configure OpenACS well enough to get it up & running. It took me about 15 minutes to install everything on my decidedly obsolete laptop.

We have dedicated resources to make sure that these RPMs are always in synch with the latest release of apache/mod_aolserver, PG and OpenACS.

The temporary home for these files is at:
http://www.wolfwater.com/openacs

A couple of observations & questions for the community:

1) We have chosen to bundle a copy of apache with mod_aolserver built in, in order to minimize installation hassles. Has anyone ever run OpenACS with mod_aolserver before? This was the first i'd ever seen. So i'm sure that some bugs with mod_aolserver will pop up in the coming days. Please help us by posting reports of any weirdness that you uncover.

2) Where should these RPMs find a permanent home? Right now they are living on my personal server, but I am more than happy to place them wherever the community deems appropriate. Since we have made a commitment to maintain them, all I'm asking for is a place where we can conveniently make updates. [I'd prefer not placing these things on arsdigita's servers; true, we built the packages, but this really isn't our project; we're just scratching an itch..]

Thanks, and I hope that someone finds these packages useful!

Collapse
Posted by Ben Adida on
Clearly these should live on openacs.org! Thanks to the SDM,
you guys can be the administrators of the RPM package and
upload new versions at will on openacs.org (just like Roberto
does with the documentation package). This is great news.

Currently, the SDM only allows for one file to be released, so I
suppose we could start with one zip file of all the RPMs, until we
add the ability to have multiple files per package. How does that
sound?

Collapse
Posted by Adam Farkas on
That sounds good to me! I think having the 1 big zip file is important, b/c we want to make this process as painless as possible for users.

That is, our "RPM" release will be soup-to-nuts, designed for the person who doesn't want to have to figure out what pieces they need, or how they all go together.

I realize that having a huge file for d/l can take up a great deal of bandwidth, but I think that it's important to have such a package available. My philosophy is let everyone get the system running & doing something useful quickly, _then_ promote exploration.

Collapse
Posted by Ben Adida on
Adam and Alen, you're now admins of a new SDM package
called OpenACS RPMs. You can create releases and upload
files for them. Have a blast with this. As soon as you're ready
with the first release for download, let me know and I will link you
from the software page and from the news page.
Collapse
Posted by Jonathan Ellis on
I thought Apache's threading was still way inferior to AS's.
Collapse
Posted by Adam Farkas on
Yep, the threading may be inferior, but we feel that mod_aolsever goes a long way to helping promote adoption of (open)ACS, since apache is vastly more popular than AOLserver.

Of course, I wouldn't recommend that anyone who plans to an ultra high-volume site use Apache/mod_aolserver over AOLserver, if given a choice. However, this is a very small subset of potential OpenACS users.

Providing alternatives to AOLserver that promote adoption is, IMO, useful.

(BTW -- apache 2.0 looks like it's going to be a solid performer.. when the major bugs are worked out.)

Collapse
Posted by Matthew Terenzio on
This will certainly be useful for developers with large Perl libraries who love apache for mod_perl, and don't have the time, inclination, or knowledge to convert their Perl scripts to TCL.( Pretty large bunch, I'd guess)
Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
Is there any reason we can't provide RPMs for
AOLserver/OpenACS/PG7.0.3 as well as Apache/mod_aolserver?

I'm all in favor of providing the Apache/mod_aolserver RPMs, and am
pleased that aD has done this and is proposing to provide the human
resources to make sure they stay up to date.  I do believe it will
help promote OpenACS and PG.

But it would be sweet to have AOLserver-based RPMs, too, along with
some documentation on the pro/con of going using one webserver
environment over the other.  Might aD already have available, or will
be write and make available soon, such documentation you're still
supporting AOLserver as well as Apache/mod_aolserver for the Oracle
versions?

Collapse
Posted by Adam Farkas on
Don --
<p>we're somewhat resource-constrained at this point WRT staffing for the RPM project. Alen is the only person working on this project, currently. We need to figure out how much of an effort it will be to have 2 distinct sets of RPMs. More to come...
Collapse
Posted by Krzysztof Kowalczyk on
Big thanks to aD for making those rpms available.

I'll join Don's plea: it would be great if AOLserver rpms were provided as well.

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
Lamar Owen might be willing to help (he does the Postgres RPMs for
RH).  If not, there might be someone else in our little community here
willing to help.

How much work is involved?  I imagine there must be some investment in
learning a bit of arcane knowledge useless in any other context, but
once you've figured out how to make them it's not that difficult to
keep them current?

Collapse
Posted by Adam Farkas on
Don --We've made the executive decision to build & maintain another set of RPMs, that are AOLserver|PG|OpenACS. We, of course, can use help from the community! Alen is only one person..

Of course, they will be hosted at openacs.org.

It might even be a good learning experience if Alen, Lamar, and all other RPM-savvy people can step us through the process of building these things.

Collapse
Posted by Ravi Gadad on
This is a wonderful development!  My thanks to all involved in
initiating this process.  I'm wondering, though, about one specific
with the configuration:  Is the version of postgresql that's
installed modified to use 16k block size, instead of the default
8k?  This is an issue I've always had with PG, and the only
reason I never use the RPMs to install it.

Again, thank you for providing this valuable addition to the
OpenACS effort.

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
I doubt it will have the 16KB blocksize installed, unless aD/openacs
builds our own binaries.  With the hidden "lzText" type, in practice
10K or better posts can be made to bboard, etc.  Not sure it's worth
it in the short term to provide our own binaries with 16KB blocksize
compiled in.

There should be instructions, though, for doing a source RPM install,
edit, and recompile.

One reason I don't attach high priority to this is that PG 7.1, which
will be the choice to take in about three months, doesn't restrict row
length to blocksize.  "text" (and other) columns can be of any length.
Poof! the blocksize problem goes away.  (it works in a way very
similar to my "large object hack" in the AOLserver PG driver, but
invisibly to queries, very cool).

So any annoyances caused by installing a default PG with an 8KB
blocksize is short-termed.  I'd rather see us concentrate on the RPM
infrastructure and provide a little documenation rather than seek a
solution that will be obsolete due to PG improvements in about three
months.

Adam - thanks for informing us of this development.  Lamar's
registered here, maybe you should e-mail him directly to see if he has
time to pitch in?  At one point he was enthusiastic about building
AOLserver/ACS/PG RPMs.  He lurks here but not on a daily basis...

Collapse
Posted by Adam Farkas on
Ok, the RPM's have a home in the sdm -- https://openacs.org/sdm/one-package-release.tcl?release_id=23

I ask anyone who is interested in trying them out to please do so, and submit bug reports to the SDM. Thanks.

Collapse
Posted by Patrick Giagnocavo on
1.  Good to see that RPM's are available.

2.  Not all of us use Linux, though - I use OpenBSD where
possible.

I would like to see perhaps a little more documentation on
building the thing from source. I have managed to get it
compiled, but am not sure where things go wrong after I add the
LoadModule directive and do "apachectl restart".

IMHO having some documentation on building would then help it
become a "port" package for FreeBSD, OpenBSD, and probably
NetBSD too.

Collapse
Posted by Adam Farkas on
Fair enough, Patrick!

The design goals for this RPM project were really narrow: to allow a newbie running RH to get openacs up & running quickly on apache. But I absolutely agree that getting everything working on *BSD would be fantastic.

Unfortunately, the guy who did the grunt work of building the packages (Alen) is on vacation for the next week or so; i'm not sure how quickly he'll be able to respond.

Collapse
Posted by Chalu Kim on
OpenACS RPM download is RPM in Zip? This does not make sense? At least, leave it in RPM. I tried a few things like renaming .gz and gunzipping and testing to rpm -i... No avail.
Collapse
Posted by Adam Farkas on
The zip file contains _several_ RPM's. The individual RPM's can be found at http://www.wolfwater.com/openacs (however, i've found it easier to get the one huge zip file. YMMV.)

The reason we have to do it this way is b/c the SDM doesn't yet support multiple files.

So, unzip the big file to a temporary directory & read the included install docs. Good luck.

Collapse
Posted by Brian Mann on
I'm attempting installation on a Mandrake 7.2 box as I write this. Hopefully with Apache I can do virtual openacs servers? I couldn't figure them out for the life of me on aolserver...
Collapse
Posted by Adam Farkas on
Good luck, brian.

let us know how it turns out...

Collapse
Posted by Brian Mann on
Well, I got all installed with some minor symlinking and such, everythings running, I changed all the ini files and the apache.conf file to point to my acs dir, and...BOOM!
[Sun Dec 10 00:15:19 2000] [notice] [client 63.109.219.36] [uri: /]
sql(localhost:5432:ars):
select group_type, pretty_name as group_type_pretty_name, pretty_plural as group_type_pretty_plural,
group_type_public_directory, group_type_admin_directory, group_public_directory, group_admin_directory
from user_group_types
where has_virtual_directory_p='t'
and group_type='/'
[Sun Dec 10 00:15:19 2000] [error] [client 63.109.219.36] [uri: /]
/tcl/user-group-defs.tcl: function ug_serve_group_pages: first element in url_list is not [ad_parameter GroupsDirectory ug]
Any idea why it does this? I'ts even doing it with my vanilla html stats page...
Collapse
Posted by Brian Mann on
I bet these have something to do with it...*grin*
[Sun Dec 10 01:09:12 2000] [notice] (25)Inappropriate ioctl for device:
Loading bootstrap support: /opt/./lib/apache/modules/aol_bootstrap/Init_hooks.tcl [Sun Dec 10 01:09:12 2000] [notice] (25)Inappropriate ioctl for device:
Loading bootstrap support: /opt/./lib/apache/modules/aol_bootstrap/Init_slave.tcl [Sun Dec 10 01:09:12 2000] [notice] Loading bootstrap support: /opt/./lib/apache/modules/aol_bootstrap/apache.tcl [Sun Dec 10 01:09:12 2000] [notice] (25)Inappropriate ioctl for device:
Loading bootstrap support: /opt/./lib/apache/modules/aol_bootstrap/shared_vars.tcl [Sun Dec 10 01:09:12 2000] [notice] Loading bootstrap support: /opt/./lib/apache/modules/aol_bootstrap/files.tcl [Sun Dec 10 01:09:12 2000] [notice] (25)Inappropriate ioctl for device:
Loading bootstrap support: /opt/./lib/apache/modules/aol_bootstrap/status.tcl [Sun Dec 10 01:09:12 2000] [notice] Loading bootstrap support: /opt/./lib/apache/modules/aol_bootstrap/config.tcl [Sun Dec 10 01:09:12 2000] [notice] (25)Inappropriate ioctl for device:
Loading bootstrap support: /opt/./lib/apache/modules/aol_bootstrap/regproc.tcl [Sun Dec 10 01:09:12 2000] [notice] (25)Inappropriate ioctl for device:
Loading bootstrap support: /opt/./lib/apache/modules/aol_bootstrap/regfilter.tcl [Sun Dec 10 01:09:12 2000] [notice] (25)Inappropriate ioctl for device:
Loading bootstrap support: /opt/./lib/apache/modules/aol_bootstrap/sched.tcl [Sun Dec 10 01:09:12 2000] [notice] (25)Inappropriate ioctl for device:
Loading bootstrap support: /opt/./lib/apache/modules/aol_bootstrap/dbsupport.tcl [Sun Dec 10 01:09:12 2000] [notice] (25)Inappropriate ioctl for device:
Loading bootstrap support: /opt/./lib/apache/modules/aol_bootstrap/misc.tcl
Collapse
Posted by Lamar Owen on
Going to download later today.

As to providing help, I can and will answer any questions about the RPM packaging itself -- it _is_ an arcane art.

I have been very busy working on cross-distribution PostgreSQL RPM's lately, along with my full-time day job as a broadcast engineer, so I have not had the time to look at the OpenACS RPM situation much at all.  In fact, I haven't had time to look at OpenACS at all in three or four months.  January should be a little better.

And, of course, PostgreSQL 7.1 is in the beta cycle right now, which adds a little more load to my plate.... 😊  Not that I'm complaining, by any means -- I just don't want to bite off more than I can chew by overextending my time.

But I'll answer any questions I can, as well as helping work on  the cross-distribution aspects of this -- there are substantial things that have to be done to make an RPM with any complexity work on more than one distribution (or even more than one version of a distribution -- such as RedHat 6.2 versus RedHat 7.0).  Oh, and I'm not even talking about the _binary_ packages -- I'm talking about the source packages, although a certain amount of binary compatibility can be found, as the typical RedHat installation includes backwards compatible libraries.

In particular, SuSE and RedHat have very different ideas of where startup scripts are to live.

So, off I go to work on PG 7.1 RPMs....

Collapse
Posted by Brian Mann on
OK, I managed to get everything working on my Mandrake 7.2 box. If I find the time, I'll try to remember what all I did and write it up, if anyone has any specific questions, feel free to email me. Now...the problem.<grin> It refuses to serve any graphics. The access log gives me a 200 response, just like it went through ok, but I get a "couldn't find graphic" thingie in netscape and ie.(Konqueror just doesn't show anything where the graphic should be. Does anyone have any idea what this problem could be? I'm not sure I got everything modified the way it should be, I'm used to the locations for aolserver. Everything seems to be working great, except this.
The page is http://www.bpmann.cx/ if you want to check it out.
Collapse
Posted by Code Warrior on
Well, I installed OpenACS RPM on my server last night.... the download was about 5 minutes and the installation took about 5 minutes.  Everything looks fine, no error messages in the logs or anything.  It created a user called nsadmin .  When I type http://t2mn.com:8000 it works, and I got a message in my email saying I was added.

There were no disruptions to the web site (which was up and serving pages during the installation), and Apache configuration files were maintained (for example: if you type http://www.t2mn.com/foo/bar it still redirects you to http://www.t2mn.com/services and the other domains are still there).

I'm still trying to figure out where everything is and how to administer it (http://www.t2mn.com/admin does not work yet).

In the meantime, are there any security holes or issues I should take care of or be aware of?

Collapse
Posted by Patrick Haggood on
If anyone's trying to install the OpenACS RPM's on RH7, I had no problem after I did the following:

1. Get the OpenACS RPM tar file and untar
2. Delete all the PostgreSQL* files.
3. Get thee hence to ftp.postgresql.org/pub/binary/v7.0.3/RPMS/RedHat7-0 and mget *
4. Where you untarred the OpenACS RPM, edit install.sh to point to the postgres 3.0.2 files you just downloaded.
5. If useradd and groupadd aren't in your path ( RH put mine in /usr/sbin) then add them to path or add a symbolic link ( i.e.
ln -s /usr/sbin/groupadd /usr/bin/groupadd)
6. Run ./install.sh

After some time ( low 8min, high 29min!) , pointing your browser to http://localhost:8000 should bring up the OpenACS.

Now the fun begins....

Collapse
Posted by Budi Wiyono on
Dear All,

1) Is there any option to install openacs for another distro ? Suse 7.0 for example.
2) If there is no option 1:
Is there any option to install only openacs to any linux distro with already compiled psql, apache + mod_aolserver module. With the consideration related to: user doesn't know how to configure nsd.ini, ad.ini, ad.tcl, modified httpd.conf, etc. and another activity, like patching, load tables, load datamodel, etc.

Thank You.