Forum OpenACS Improvement Proposals (TIPs): TIP #55 (Implemented) Propigate object_id up through the master templates

I would like to propigate a property "object_id" from the various single item display pages up to through the various master templates to facilitate persistent nav and knowledge management functionality.

I am currently implementing general ratings, related items, and general comments for all objects with this and it makes it possible to support these things with one minor modification to the package.

Sounds good. Is this the only value that needs to be propigated? Either way, approved.
Jeff, just to make sure I understand this properly ...

Are you talking about e.g. on a page displaying a blog entry, you would put the entry_id of the blog entry in a property in the ADP?

So that would mean changing all pages that display objects to do this?

What about pages that display multiple objects, like the blog index page.

/Lars

Jeff,

Have you looked at providing a namespace variable for this?

content::init and related procedures use this for the item_id and it seems to work well enough.

@namespace::varname@ works just fine in an ADP file.

I think this is a good idea, just wanted to mention another implementation. Most likely it is for another day.

Lars, yeah, it would propigate the entry_id for a blog or the message_id for a forum thread (or single post), the user_id for community_member page, etc.

For multiple items if you wanted to service-y things you would need a service contract (or do the tcl function namespace trick) so this does not address that really.

Dave, I had not really thought about using a namespace variable for it. I guess that would work too although using a property seems to be more in keeping with tradition.

I think using the property object_id is actually bad, and it should probably be "displayed_object" or something like that.

Collapse
7: Re: TIP #55 Aprrove Vote (response to 1)
Posted by Caroline Meeks on
Approve
I approve - "display_object_id" perhaps?
Collapse
9: Re: TIP #55 Approve Vote (response to 7)
Posted by Tilmann Singer on
Approve