Forum OpenACS Q&A: Anyone want to port the homepage module

Hello,

I have a ClassicACS tarball of the homepage module that has had the dialog-class.tcl file surgically excised.

If anyone would like a copy of this .tar file to port it to OpenACS, I'd be more than happy to mail it (58k) to you.

Once ported, Don said he would be happy to test and add it to the cvs tree so that it becomes part of the 3.2.5 release.

Unfortunately, I don't know enough about Postgres to do the port myself.

Any takers?

Collapse
Posted by Vinod Kurup on
Hi all!

I've finished porting the module that Sarah sent me. I didn't
change the datamodel file or the tcl library file at all.

Where should I send it?

Collapse
Posted by Patrick Giagnocavo on
Has anything happened with this yet?
Collapse
Posted by Vinod Kurup on
I finished porting it and I notified Don, but he's been understandably busy, so it hasn't made it into CVS yet. I have a copy at my homepage. Like I said, I didn't need to change the datamodel or tcl procs at all, but the filenames have changed (to fit the more standard acs conventions). So, just delete the /www/homepage directory currently in acs and replace it with the one in my tarball.

Let me know if you have any problems. Thanks!

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
I think I sent this off to Roberto - at least the thread references you'd passed to me.  Roberto has agreed to be "gatekeeper" of the 3.2 tree, i.e. to take patches, newly ported modules etc, do some testing and shove 'em into CVS.

Roberto follows this forum but you might want to e-mail him directly to make sure he gets your stuff.  I may've dropped the ball on this one though I thought I'd sent the references to him...

Collapse
Posted by Roberto Mello on
I received your e-mails Don. I was starting to go through then, but was
sidetracked by improving the OpenACS 3.2.4 docs and then Ben openned
the gates of 4.x so I rushed to get the porting-HOWTO (which nobody
commented on besides saying it's great, so I hope it's good) out the
door. All this besides work, where I am writing an ACS Oracle 4.x
package (that is now being needed for yesterday), and school where I
am writing an OpenACS 3.x module and becoming buzzword-compliant by
doing some Java work (that's been actually pretty fun).

I need to finish the revamped PL/PgSQL documentation (which I hope
will be included in the 7.1 docs) because I think this will help lots
of folks pound on porting/writing 4.x modules. As soon as I am done
with that (sometime this week) I'll go through the things that have
been sent me to be included in the 3.2.x tree.

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
OK, I'm sure folks will be fine with that!  I know you've been busy, I'm a slacker in comparison ...
Collapse
Posted by finn knudsen on
Hi

I have downloaded Vinod's tarball. I'm running mod_aolserver and can now run some of the scripts, although I now get new errors. It might be problems with creating new directories, although nsadmin should have the right.

I also believe that the dialog-class is used by other modules, than the ones in homepage. How did you do a work around ?

Regards

Finn

Collapse
Posted by Sarah Barwig on
I don't believe the dialog-class.tcl file is used by any module other than homepage. If it is, then it should be excised from that code in the same way it was excised from this module.

The way I did it was to grep for dialog-class, then remove it from everywhere it exists. And put in some other more sensible page in its place.

Collapse
Posted by Vinod Kurup on
Yeah, I just checked openacs 3.2.4 as well as the more up-to-date CVS version and neither has any outside references to dialog-class.tcl. What kind of errors are you getting?
Collapse
Hi

I must have made a mistake somewhere, because I cant find it either. I thought it was something with "mkdir" but its gone now.

I have looked at my other problem. It happens when i go to your workspace and then try to access neighborhoods. Below is the error :

registered_proc blew up --- backtrace follows: Database operation "select" failed (exception NSDB, "Query was not a statement returning rows.") while executing "ns_db select $db " select neighborhood_id as nid, neighborhood_name, description, hp_get_nh_member_count(neighborhood_id) as total_homepages ..." invoked from within "if {$view == "tree"} { append html "
$options_menu <td align=..." (file "/var/opt/www/linuxhost/www/homepage/neighborhoods.tcl" line 173) invoked from within "source $ad_conn(file)" (procedure "ad_handle_abstract_url" line 67) invoked from within "ad_handle_abstract_url conn {}"Database operation "select" failed (exception NSDB, "Query was not a statement returning rows.") while executing "ns_db select $db " select neighborhood_id as nid, neighborhood_name, description, hp_get_nh_member_count(neighborhood_id) as total_homepages ..." invoked from within "if {$view == "tree"} { append html "
$options_menu <td align=..." (file "/var/opt/www/linuxhost/www/homepage/neighborhoods.tcl" line 173) invoked from within "source $ad_conn(file)" (procedure "ad_handle_abstract_url" line 67) invoked from within "ad_handle_abstract_url conn {}"

I think Os Tyler have been refering to this problem in
Image Problem on Installation: _ns_dirlist fails . However, it could be something that only occurs because I'm running mod_aolserver. I'm trying to find out how I shall desable abstract_url's and see if I can get it working.

Regards

Finn

Collapse
Hi

Okay I figured out the problem. It seems that I'm missing the function hp_get_nh_member_count which is used in the neighborhood.tcl in the normal mode. So the code works fine when running in tree mode.

Regards

Finn