Forum OpenACS Development: Re: new templating model: ideas, questions

Collapse
Posted by Tom Jackson on

I should add that another goal is to provide a system which takes advantage of the strengths of Tcl, in an attempt to avoid creating another 'language'. This compiler isn't a language, it simply enforces certain restrictions and transforms the input template into 'possibly valid' Tcl code. It also allows infinite extensibility without changes to the compiler by the use of a 'resource' tag. It is a simple hook that allows the developer to give access to additional resources to the designer. One resource 'type' is an include. It allows the designer to include the results of an external script or compiled template and allows the designer to pass variables along. The script/template is evaluated outside the context of the caller and the results are returned as text. A similar resource (probably called source) will allow an external script to be evaluted in the caller page so you can break templates into chunks for modularity and readability, and avoid passing variables. What resource types are used will not impact the compiler, the calling environment only needs to impliment:

• resource::init
  • resource::add type name,
  • resource::exists type name and
  • resource::eval type name args

(I'm having trouble posting this in one chunk or forums doesn't like my text, I have a further example, if it doesn't show up, it is because forums didn't like it).