Forum .LRN Q&A: Re: .LRN release process and roadmap

Collapse
Posted by Carl Robert Blesius on
We really need to fix issues with the core .LRN modules. We need to start small. We need to take care of the low hanging fruit, and move forward from there.

One of the nicest things about .LRN 2.0 (that not many have talked about) is the package manager. It allows a .LRN user to try out software that is not part of .LRN by clicking within the interface and it makes upgrading MUCH easier. This is a key piece which allows individual .LRN installs to test new features. It allows innovation to happen. It allows you to add and test things for the .LRN brand. See how it works for you and if it does start promoting it. Innovation can happen around .LRN and the .LRN brand retains it high quality.

The model fits well with what I have been doing on the new .LRN website (which is running on .LRN). I installed a stock version of .LRN and added OpenACS modules as need (e.g. events, edit-this-page, etc.). It did not take me long to realize that edit-this-page should be shot to put me out my misery (translation: not a candidate for the .LRN brand), on the other hand events is an interesting module for the .LRN brand (e.g. waiting lists for classes, managing rooms with limited space, charging for a course) and it is something that I am going to promote for a future .LRN release (just like LORS and LORSm!).

What I see Tracy saying is: one step at a time (and yes the feature-creep virus inside of me does not want me to agree, but I do).

Nice work Tracy. Keep it up.