Forum .LRN Q&A: Which branch should dotlrn be on?

Collapse
Posted by Joel Aufrecht on
One consequence of executing the TIP to merge .LRN code in with OpenACS has been a change in the branching structure. We used to have a dotlrn-2-0 branch in the dotlrn cvs tree, and oacs-5-0 in the openacs tree. With the merge, a pending release of OpenACS 5.1, and .LRN 2.1, the picture is less clear.

The immediate problem is where people should be committing work intended to be released in .LRN 2.0.4. In the old system, if the work was on OpenACS core, it went into oacs-5-0, if it was in dotlrn-prereq module, it also went into oacs-5-0, and if it was in dotlrn-core, it went into dotlrn-2-0.

So the obvious thing to do now would appear to be, branch all the dotlrn-core packages into oacs-5-0. This allows checkout of all dotlrn, prereq, and core on the same branch tag, which simplifies things.

However, we are about to release 5.1, which will require changes to dotlrn. So, we should also branch the current dotlrn code to oacs-5-1. If there are future changes on the dotlrn code in oacs-5-0, they will have to get merged to 5-1 or HEAD, but that's the same as with any other package.

Collapse
Posted by Tracy Adams on
Joel,

I agree with you.

Tracy

Collapse
Posted by xx xx on
To create a "stable .LRN installation" with the automated install script, what branch should I use:
  • "-r oacs-5-1" for acs-core
  • "HEAD" / "-r oacs-5-1" / "-r openacs-5-0-compat" for dotlrn-all
?
Could you check this patch and update Installing .LRN from CVS or link to https://openacs.org/4/checkout, please?
Collapse
Posted by Joel Aufrecht on
I just updated the OpenACS page https://openacs.org/4/checkout on how to get a working dev checkout of dotlrn.  I believe th e answer to Aldert's question is, use oacs-5-0 if you are working on .LRN 2.0.x, and use oacs-5-1 if you are working on .LRN 2.1.x.  This applies to both aliases, acs-core and dotlrn-all.

What I'm not clear on is, how the next dotlrn release should be tagged.  Should the dotlrn-2-0-4-final tag apply to all of the packages?  Or just to dotlrn-all, which will still mean that calender et al will start accumulating dotlrn-x-y-z-final tags.  Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Collapse
Posted by Tracy Adams on
My opinion, the dotlrn-2-0-4-final tag should apply to everything that is officially in the dotlrn tarball.

That way, we will know that what was released as the dotlrn tarball corresponds exactly to the tag.  Also, you will be able to get a given version of dotlrn with just one checkout.

People who really want to can mix and match - ie, check out a later version of acs-core on top of a given version of dotlrn.  But they will be more advanced users and more likely to know what they are doing.

Collapse
Posted by xx xx on
I agree with Tracy about the dotlrn-2-0-4-final tag. And I would expect "-r openacs-5-0-compat dotlrn-all" to supply the most recent additional package, that are likely to work with 2-0-4. Right?

What is the "dotlrn-21 testserver" using as branch tags and packages (dotlrn-all/core/prerequisite)?

I thought dotlrn-21 was a development testserver for .LRN 2.1. that should use openACS 5.1, but it says it is using "openacs-5-0-compat" here?