Forum OpenACS Development: OpenACS 5.5

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
I was wondering if there is a tentative release date for OpenACS 5.5. We need some time to test it properly as part of ]project-open[ and therefore knowing roughly when it will be out allows us to plan a roadmap better and decide whether to base on OpenACS 5.4 or OpenACS 5.5.

Is there a plan to include the layout manager in the 5.5 release (note: I am not talking about it as a replacement for .LRN). I think the question is more, will the layout manager be ready for production use in 5.5 or only later.

Collapse
2: Re: OpenACS 5.5 (response to 1)
Posted by Don Baccus on
We're talking about an october-ish time frame for beta-ish releasing, with the goal of releasing final before Valencia.

The layout manager won't be part of core, of course, but will work with 5.5. An earlier version has already been used by me to build a production site, MGH is about to use it for a project, and I'll be using it to build one or two production sites this fall. At the moment I've only rewritten a handful of .LRN portlets to work with the new scheme (this consists primarily of 1) simplifying the portlet code and 2) fixing bugs and dependencies in packages like calendar which to my great annoyance have include scripts that only work within the package itself or (sigh) .LRN).

Collapse
3: Re: OpenACS 5.5 (response to 1)
Posted by Don Baccus on
Something new that we hope to have in core is a theme manager package. I've already cleaned up and set up a primitive start on HEAD, that for instance removes the hard-wired values for admin sub tabs put in by Lars out into parameters so you can actually modify them, plus a somewhat clean way to declare and change theme elements like css files and master templates.

Emmanuelle Raffenne is working on a more thorough proposal to break it out into a theme manager practice, and also include things I ignored like paths to directories including icons, named CSS for including high contrast or other custom versions, etc.

The difficulty here will lie to a large extent in not making it break existing customized sites, or at least making upgrading simple.

Collapse
4: Re: OpenACS 5.5 (response to 3)
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
Excellent. Thanks for the reply and keep us posted on the theme manager. This sounds promising, sadly ]po[ already developed such a thing a year ago, but hopefully it will be able to coexist nicely.