Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Hosting a searchable mail archive

Collapse
Posted by Jeff Davis on
I think using static pages + hypermail is a pretty good low cost/safe/fast solution. I have worked some on importing mail to forums but it's not quite ready for prime time. Static pages works fine on OpenACS 5.
Collapse
Posted by Robin Felix on
My understanding of Static Pages is that the indexed content pages must be mounted under the <myserver>/www filesystem.  This defeats the controls imposed by OACS groups -- once the URL is recovered, it allows access to the content without restriction.

I want to be able to restrict access to organization members, a group that changes from year to year, and I don't want others to be able to access the archives using a URL that bypasses OACS login security.

If there were a way to accomplish this with Static Pages, I would use it.  Otherwise, I was hoping that a more robust OACS 5 Content Management application would do a better job.

Collapse
Posted by Randy O'Meara on
Robin,

I haven't done this, so I'm guessing that it will work. Somebody else pipe up if this is incorrect...

You can control access based on acs-subsite Application group membership.

My understanding is that you should be able to create a subsite (say, mlist), set it's join policy to closed, and mount a static pages instance under that subsite (say mlist/archive). You can control membership in the groups "mlist Administrators" and "mlist Members", created by the subsite instantiation code. If you already have a member group, you may be able to assign subsite permissions to that group, though I'm not certain.

You then should be able to create a directory "<acs root>/www/mlist/archives" and place your static content there.

/R