Forum OpenACS Improvement Proposals (TIPs): Re: TIP #61: (Proposed) Guidelines for CVS committers

Collapse
Posted by Jeff Davis on
Approved (with some possible clarifications):

On 4, should renaming or moving a file also require a tip? (an example of this: I would like to move the includes out of /www to /lib).

plsql is currently fuzzy, should we consider plsql API "public".

On code, commit messages for bug/tip/patch should be in the format "bug 11", "bugs 11,22,44". "tip 42", "tips 42,50", "patch 456 by User Name", "patch 456 by User Name, patch 523 by ...". I was thinking we should maybe start using "resolves bug #" so we could automatically construct lists of bugs resolved per release as well (and potentially feed to bug tracker)"

Collapse
Posted by Joel Aufrecht on
"On 4, should renaming or moving a file also require a tip? (an example of this: I would like to move the includes out of /www to /lib)."

So the guideline is it should be tipped if ... "it will change the behavior of any core package in a way that affects existing code (typically, by changing public API)"

I would opine that since there was no defined interface for includelets before /lib, includelets in /www are not part of a public interface.  So you could rename them freely in www - I guess it's like a private API - but renaming or changing in  /lib is TIPable.

On the other hand, we've made a bunch of changes to master template etc, just since 5.0, that it seems like overkill to TIP for.  Maybe the rule for public includelets should be that changes operate on the "beg for forgiveness" model.  That is, non-bugfix changes can happen without TIP, but only on HEAD, and authors must pay attention to the response.

Collapse
Posted by Roberto Mello on
Approved.

Jeff, perhaps we should use the Debian packaging system way of closing bugs. In the changelog one can write: closes: #12345. The regular expression used by their system is the following:

/closes:\s*(?:bug)?\#?\s?\d+(?:,\s*(?:bug)?\#?\s?\d+)*/i

Debian has an archive maintenance script (katie) that takes care of closing bugs in the bug tracking system when a developer uploads a package with a closes: field in the changelog. We could write a similar script to do that for our bug-tracker. I would be happy to do that.

-Roberto

Collapse
Posted by Jeff Davis on
I think we should use "resolves" rather than "closes" since we have adopted (for better or worse) the convention that bugs are marked resolved and the fix must be confirmed for it to be closed.

"close" is shorter though :)