Forum .LRN Q&A: Re: New admin features for .LRN

Collapse
Posted by Carl Robert Blesius on
We will be needing something that might overlap with your need Nima: an auto-registration feature for groups.

Based on information collected from the user (or information that already exists in the DB), we want to auto-enroll them in certain courses (or groups).

Example: 200 medical students should be automatically added to specific classes/groups based on there status (e.g. first clinical year).

Will have some use cases for discussion in the RFC.

Collapse
Posted by Rocael Hernández Rizzardini on
IMS Enterprise package that we are about to release can handle that, the only thing is that you need to generate the proper XML DTDs that reflect your cases, more on this later ...
Collapse
Posted by Matthias Melcher on
<blockquote> IMS Enterprise package that we are about to release
</blockquote>

Is there any project documentation page where we can timely learn about
- what specific features you are planning for special needs of your own institution that might be more difficult or less useless to adopt for others, vs.
- what will enhance the common use group administration, and how it fits with the IMS Enterprise usage that is already present in OpenACS 5.0 (External) Autentication?

Collapse
<blockquote>Is there any project documentation page where we can timely learn about
what specific features you are planning for special needs of your own
institution that might be more difficult or less useless to adopt for others,
</blockquote>

1. the package will be released by the end of next week and will be documented, right now we dont have something formally written yet.
2. we are tight to the standard, that means that if you have a DTD that is compliant, should work, anyway, I would say that is not difficult to do minor changes on the code in the case you need further customization (in other words, the package isn't written specifically for Galileo)

<blockquote>vs.
what will enhance the common use group administration, and how it fits with
the IMS Enterprise usage that is already present in OpenACS 5.0 (External) Autentication?
</blockquote>

The IMS Enterprise v.1.1 spec is divided in 3 parts, <person>, <group>, <membership>.
Right now auth has only <person> which is the import of users from the DTD to .LRN, now we have added:
* <group> which creates automatically from the DTD the departments, subjects, and class instances
* <membership>  which creates automatically from the DTD the *relation* between users and a given class instances, and the specific roles (professors, TA's, students, etc) for that class.

Its more clear now?

Collapse
Posted by Matthias Melcher on
<blockquote> Its more clear now?
</blockquote>

yes but it made us even more curious
and waiting for the end of last week !

<blockquote> the package will be released by the
end of next week and will be documented
</blockquote>

Collapse
last week I've commited ims-ent, so you can download it whenever you want, will allow you to automatically sync the creation/update/delete of users, deps, subjects, class instances, user membership & roles to .LRN.

I'm on my way to produce the very first basic documentation that will help anyone. Be aware that right now its only for PG, my plan is to make it oracle available as well (will be relatively fast), but first test it more.

More info from IMS: http://www.imsglobal.org/enterprise/entv1p1/imsent_infov1p1.html