Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Installing Oracle 8.1.7 on Red Hat 9

Collapse
Posted by Janine Ohmer on
Thanks, Jeff, that was the sort of info I was looking for.  Unfortunately, I'm not able to install the RPMs from that site on my Enterprise installation.  When I try to just install them as he suggests, I get errors that the existing version is needed by things I can't uninstall even temporarily, like "mount".  And when I try to force the downgrade with --force and --nodeps, I get a bunch of errors like this:

file /usr/include/wordexp.h from install of glibc-devel-2.3.2-5 conflicts with file from package glibc-headers-2.3.2-95.20

And the packages don't get installed.

The thing I find very odd here is that theoretically I have 2.3.2-95 installed:

[root@abyssinian src]# rpm -qa | grep glibc
glibc-common-2.3.2-95.20
glibc-profile-2.3.2-95.20
glibc-kernheaders-2.4-8.34
glibc-headers-2.3.2-95.20
glibc-2.3.2-95.20
glibc-devel-2.3.2-95.20
glibc-utils-2.3.2-95.20

Which, as the article you quoted says, is in the same family as the 2.3.2-5 I am trying to install.  So you would think I woudln't even be having this problem....

Moving right along, I found this link

http://www3.sympatico.ca/arothmel/oracle/817.html

I think this person does more work than they have to;  as far as I can tell, you don't really have to install the compat packages or the Blackdown jre and haven't needed to for quite a while.  But this person claims that if you just continue through all the errors and use the glibc_stubs patch at the end, all will be well.  I guess it's worth a try....