Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Installing Oracle 8.1.7 on Red Hat 9

Collapse
Posted by Janine Ohmer on
Close, but no cigar....

I like to try to find the minimum set of steps needed to do these things, so I didn't install the compat RPMs or any of the other extra steps people mentioned (yet, anyway).

Here are the steps I've followed so far:

1. make sure LD_ASSUME_KERNEL is set to 2.2.5
  2. run through the 8.1.7.0 install, choosing ignore for all errors
  3. at the second root.sh prompt, run root.sh and then apply the glibc patch
  4. the Net8 Assistant never comes up, which hangs the install, so kill it at this point
  5. run netca by hand, and kill it again when it hangs because lsnrctl doesn't exist (it needs to be created as Bruno mentioned above)
  6. install 8.1.7.4 patch, choosing ignore for all errors
  7. apply the glibc patch again
  8. run a script to cp and chmod files that are missing or have permissions set wrong (see below)
  9. run dbassist and save files to disk
  10. manually run the first file dbassist creates
Up to this point things were going well; there were no build errors when applying the glibc patch, which (as far as I can tell) gets us past the ctype errors. But now things fall apart with this beauty:

error while loading shared libraries: libskgxp8.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

This is absolutely correct - that file does not exist. I do have libskgxp8.a, but I don't know how to get from here to there. I found a few threads on this in Google but no answers. There are no errors related to this library in the make log, so I don't think the answer is that a step failed (though I could certainly be wrong).

In fact, after having spent an inordinate amount of time trying to figure out why this file isn't getting built, I realized that I don't have it on any of my other Oracle installations either. They all have just the .a. So now I'm *really* confused. Why would it be looking for a .so on this system when it has obviously never needed one before?

Any suggestions? My next thought is to try changing the gcc version, like Bruno suggested, but I've spent so much time on this already I thought I'd solicit other opinons before spinning my wheels any further.

Here is the script I'm using to fix up the files and permissions, in case anyone else needs it. I created this by comparing the output from "ls -l" on this system and on one of my other ones. This is probably more than actually matters, but since I don't know what many of these programs do I figured it wouldn't hurt to clean things up a bit.

chmod 751 agtctlO
cp agtctlO agtctl
chmod 751 cmadminO
chmod 751 cmgwO
chmod 751 cmctlO
chmod 751 ctxloadO
chmod 751 ctxsrvO
chmod 751 cursizeO
chmod 751 dbfsizeO
chmod 751 dbvO
cp dbsnmpO dbsnmp
chmod 751 exp
chmod 751 extprocO
cp extprocO extproc
chmod 751 hsallociO
cp hsallociO hsalloci
chmod 751 hsdepxaO
cp hsdepxaO hsdepxa
chmod 751 hsotsO
cp hsotsO hsots
chmod 751 imp
chmod 751 kgmgrO
chmod 751 loadpspO
chmod 751 lsnrctlO
cp lsnrctlO lsnrctl
chmod 751 maxmemO
chmod 751 migO
chmod 751 namesctlO
chmod 751 namesO
cp oemeventO oemevent
chmod 751 onrsdO
chmod 751 oracleO
chmod +s oracleO
cp oracleO oracle
chmod 751 orapwdO
cp oratclshO oratclsh
chmod 751 otrccolO
chmod 751 otrccrefO
chmod 751 otrcfmtO
chmod 751 otrcrepO
chmod 751 rman
chmod 751 sbttestO
chmod 751 sqlldr
chmod 751 sqlplusO
chmod 751 svrmgrlO
chmod 751 tkprof
chmod 751 tnslsnr*
chmod 751 tnspingO
chmod 751 trcasstO
chmod 751 trcroute
chmod 751 trcrouteO
chmod 751 tstshmO
chmod 751 wrapO
Collapse
Posted by Bruno Mattarollo on
Janine,

I couldn't find the "shared library" version of libskgxp either but I didn't have that error you are mentioning. When do you get that error?

From looking around in the documentation and in metalink, I couldn't find a great deal of information regarding that library, except that it's mentioned in relation to IPC (inter process communication).

Just as a side note, maybe it's related or maybe not, but I didn't install the HTTP server nor the advanced security packages when doing the package selection at installation time.

/B