Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Jabber to-do

Collapse
5: Re: Jabber to-do (response to 1)
Posted by Bjoern Kiesbye on
Hi ,

their is another Client which supports whiteboarding, it's called neos

http://www.neosmt.com/eng/index.html

I dont think the protokol is compatible with the concinella protocol but it runs on all win32 platforms without installing extra software (concinella needs a tcl interpreter installed on the client machine).
Might be a interesting whiteboarding Client solution.

I did check the Jabberd2 Server Code a Year ago, and it's internal architecture changed a lot. So it is not possible to just modify mod_acs a little to get it to work in Jabberd2.
To implement Admin functionality (Jabberd2 allready delivers some) we can't just use the standard api, last time (for jabber-1.4.x) we sat 2 months with 2 guys reading and undersdanding the Jabberd internals to get a proper admin implementation running, even with using the admin functionalities  allready implemented in Jabberd2 I will propably need at least 1 Month to write the additionel admin functionalities we need.

I think it's the best to stick with jabber-1.4.3 (or jabber-1.5.0 when it's released) for now. It's well tested , and runs very stable.
But upgrading to Jabberd2 is defnetly somthing to be doen in long term.

Any way their are no transports for Jabberd2 jet, so you will need an extra jabber-1.4.x server on your system, where the transports are runnig in (Jabberd2 can then connect to this transports with the uplink method). So the jabber-1.x.x project will keep on existing for a while.

I think, to make the jabber-package (it's functionality) available through out the System, we should use service contracts instead of namespaces. If we just using a  namespace (the package was developed befor tcl supported namespaces)  as api, all packages which use this api will break, unless the jabber package is installed.

Collapse
6: Re: Jabber to-do (response to 5)
Posted by martin hebrank on
I agree that we should provide service contracts, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't put all jabber tcl procs into a proper namespace.

To get started, I would propose the following basic breakdown of the namespace.

jabber::services - All the procs for service control.

jabber::user - All the procs for service control.

jabber::user::friend - All the procs for controlling a particular user's friends.

jabber::conference - All the procs for user control.

** Martin

Collapse
7: Re: Jabber to-do (response to 6)
Posted by martin hebrank on
So, is the lack of response here meant as a "well, we don't have immediate plans" or "well, we're not interested in your help"?

** Martin