Forum OpenACS CMS: Response to Status of comtemplation on CMS module

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
Well, first of all I don't have much first-hand experience with the CMS, and I don't believe Ben does either.  Given that porting a module  typically takes little time (my original bboard port took me one day, for instance, CMS would probably be more like a week) we just take the default position "port first, fix later".

Now ... if people who have worked with it feel like it needs to be junked entirely, including the datamodel, and that the CMS as it exists isn't even a viable interim module ... then some rethinking is in order.

What we need is some *specific* analysis of what's wrong with it.  Not simply from the UI POV but for instance, what's wrong with the datamodel.  Did they get anything right, or does the whole thing need to be shitcanned?  Do we need to shitcan their ideas entirely, or just their code?

Without more detail than "it sucks" it's hard to say that spending a week or so porting a clone would be a worthless activity.

Jon's offered to take the lead on getting more information on other CMS systems, and to turn a critical eye on the ACS CMS.  He's also working on parts of the core (acs-notification and friends) so I suspect it might be awhile before he can find time to do much on this task.  The core work's of higher priority (for all of us involved).

But I don't know, so I'll ask him!  Hey, Jon, any idea when you'll be able to rip the CMS internals to shreds and explain just how it sucks?