Forum .LRN Q&A: Assessment & LORSm

Collapse
Posted by Ernie Ghiglione on
G'day people,

Last week we were discussion (https://openacs.org/forums/message-view?message_id=189747) possible integrations between different packages and IMS specs that we are implementing within .LRN. Here's the example I promised regarding Assessment and the learning object repository (LORSm).

I've been working with Natalia from E-LANE on an integration between Assessment and LORSm. E-LANE (Alvaro and Eduardo) have been working on an Assessment package that is based around IMS Question and Test Interoperability (IMS QTI) http://www.imsglobal.org/question/index.cfm. A good brief on IMS QTI can be found here http://alto.aber.ac.uk/pastprojects/evaluation/IMSQTI.asp.

Natalia has been working on a course that was packaged using IMS CP and as the last part of the sequence of her course she wanted to include a couple of assessments/tests.

The course outline (sequence) looks something like this:

Índice
Introducción
INFORMACIÓN
    Internet
        ¿Qué es Internet?
        Seguridad en la red
        Hipertexto
        Qué ofrece Internet
        Elementos necesarios para la conexión
        La conexión a Internet
    Internet Explorer
        Los navegadores y las páginas web
        La página de inicio
        La ventana principal de Internet Explorer
        Las barras de herramientas de Internet Explorer
    Buscar, guardar, abrir e imprimir páginas web
        Buscar páginas web
        Abrir páginas web
        Guardar páginas web
        El panel Favoritos
        El panel Historial
        Imprimir páginas web
COMUNICACIÓN
    Correo electrónico
        Las direcciones de correo
        Modificar el mensaje antes de responder o reenviar
    Gestión del correo
        Los grupos
        Añadir y eliminar direcciones de la libreta de direcciones
        Añadir una dirección de correo
        Descargar en carpetas diferentes
        Mover los mensajes de carpeta
        Eliminar un mensaje
        Imprimir
EVALUACIÓN
    Examen 1
    Examen 2

--

At the end of the course, the students can take Examen 1 and 2 (Examen = Exam in Spanish 😉. Now the issue began when the actual exames on the Content Package were a zipped file that contained an XML document describing the questions to be asked to the students (following the IMS QTI guidelines). As LORSm imports content into the OACS CR regardless of what it is, then when the student clicked on "Examen 1" he/she was getting a zipped file with all the question on XML... which of course was not what we wanted.

The Assessment package is still a work in progress. However, it does allow you to upload and import a test/assessment using IMS QTI as a zipped file.

Therefore, what we did is the following:

On the actual definition of the course (imsmanifest.xml file) we tweaked the definition of the Examen 1 resource to be of the type "ims-qti-package" instead of the usual "webcontent". So it looked like this:

<resource identifier="RES-B5..." type="ims-qti-package" href="assessment/test-1.zip" adlcp:scormtype="asset">

I added a check on LORSm to verify the actual type of the resource and if it matched "ims-qti-package" then it triggered a call to the Assessment package and passed the location of the zipped file that contained the test. The Assessment processed the XML file and added to its question/test tables and returned back to the LORSm package the URL where the questions for this test can be displayed. The URL returned is stored as href for the "Examen 1" link on LORSm.

So for the teacher that uploads the course, it is transparent of who is doing or taking care of stuff in .LRN. As far as he/she knows it takes IMS CP, MD and QTI for him. For the student, the jump between the packages is seamless as he might not even realize that it is happening.

Of course, this is just a prove of concept and still quite some work has to be done putting all this together. Some issues to be resolved include: passing results, sequencing, permissions, etc... but it is a step forward.

Comments?

Ernie

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
None, this is how I had assumed it to work until the discussion started about assessment storing single questions as items in LORSm, which is an approach you (obviously) are not taking.
Collapse
Posted by Nima Mazloumi on
Ernie,
can you send me a sample file with the assessment stuff? I would like to take a look at it and see how I can integrate that stuff with our course editor.

Greetings,
Nima

Collapse
3: Re: Assessment and LORSm (response to 2)
Malte,

<blockquote> None, this is how I had assumed it to work until the discussion started about
assessment storing single questions as items in LORSm, which is an approach you
(obviously) are not taking.
</blockquote>

I bet you are really happy then...  😉

Well, technically -if you look closer- they are still IMS CP items, but referencing to resources other than "webcontent":

<manifest xmlns="http://www.imsproject.org/xsd/imscp_rootv1p1p2" ...>
  <organizations default="ORG-...">
    <organization identifier="ORG-D..." structure="hierarchical">
      <title>INFORMACION Y COMUNICACION</title>
      <item identifier="ITEM-E8.." identifierref="RES-1.." isvisible="true">
        <title>Indice</title>
      </item>
        <item identifier="ITEM-3.." identifierref="RES-B.."
isvisible="true">
          <title>Examen 1</title>
        </item>
        <item identifier="ITEM-C.." identifierref="RES-F.."
isvisible="true">
          <title>Examen 2</title>
        </item>
  <resources>
    <resource identifier="RES-1.." type="webcontent" href="index.html" adlcp:scormtype="asset">
      <file href="index.html" />
    </resource>
    <resource identifier="RES-B.." type="ims-qti-package" href="assessment/test-1.zip" adlcp:scormtype="asset">
      <file href="assessment/test-1.zip" />
    </resource>
    </resource>
  </resources>
</manifest>

So yes, they are items of LORSm still. It is because they are IMSCP items that we can link to them in a sequence... Although, as we said before, they aren't 'processed' by LORSm but other fellow packages which return back a URL that LORSm uses for that item's href.

Ernie

Collapse
Nima,

Here's the course I used for the example I mentioned above:

http://weg.ee.usyd.edu.au/people/ernieg/thesis/course.zip

Thanks,

Ernie

Collapse
Hi there,

Matthias Melcher has pointed out to me that IMS does have its own resource type definition according to the "stuff" you are packaging.He's also has provided me with the link that explains how it should be done:

http://www.imsproject.org/implementationhandbook/imspack_handv1p0.html#1247199

Therefore the appropiate resource type for IMS QTI, should be:

QT1 v1.0 = imsqti_xmlv1p0
  QT1 v1.1 = imsqti_xmlv1p1

So I have made the changed accordingly.

Thanks Matthias,

Ernie

Collapse
Posted by Nima Mazloumi on
Thank you. I will took at it and try to integrate with our editor.
Collapse
8: Re: Assessment &amp; LORSm (response to 1)
Posted by Abelardo Pardo on
Nima, I'm assuming that the course Ernie pointed at is the one generated for the ELANE project and contains the assessment files we generated. If that is so, let us know if there is anything you find should that should be changed.

The code we have written so far takes that QTI file you find in the package and creates the basic data structures in the database following the assessment spec. If you click on the links provided by LORSm, a dump of the items table is shown. This is because there is no infrastructure yet to process the assessment information.

Your comments will be very welcome.

Abel