Forum OpenACS Q&A: pg_dump not ready in 7.1 wait until 7.11 on about May 1st

Here is more information from another thread that may help in making your decision. -Bob

Response to pg_dump 7.1RC2 (7.1 released!!!)

I have been to the pgsql-hackers list. The pg_dump problem is very reproducible and should be fixed ASAP, is their opinion. The 'sad' news is: It will not make it into 7.1, as that has been released this night (mine anyway). People running RC4: don't bother upgrading, they only changed one string in the python arena (removed 'BETA' from something.

The pg_dump problem, if I understand correctly, exists because the view is dumped when the related table (based on OID) is dumped. So the view OID is not used, but the table/relation OID instead. They will fix this in 7.1.1 which 'The Hermit Hacker' scheduled for may 1st. I would suggest not upgrading to 7.1 for production 3.2.x systems, unless you REALLY need the features, as you will run into restore problems... waiting 15 more days should not be a problem, me thinks.

On the bright side: 7.1 is much, much faster in my limited experience to date. The restore took only a fraction of the time it took on 7.0... jummy!

-- Pascal Scheffers, April 14, 2001