Forum OpenACS Development: ACS 4.2 released

Collapse
Posted by Jon Griffin on
ACS 4.2 was released last night and the only good thing I see is that I don't have to run "beta" versions on my sites.

Reading the release notes it appears that only one bug has been fixed and they changed logos on the docs and a couple of doc changes.

I can't really figure out why they even bothered, maybe to stem some criticism? I wish they would just give up trying to appease the communitity and let OpenACS take over.

Bottom line, sure get it just to keep the upgrade path, but I am not sure it will buy you anything.

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
Yeah, I e-mailed a note to Ben.  I'm not terribly worried about logos on the docs, heck, we got a smilely dog to replace those logos with anyway!

Sounds like we can easily integrate these changes...

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
It also appears that they've been trickling out new package releases, some of which (acs-workflow, for instance) aren't included in the 4.2 release.

How useful.

And they wonder why we never believe them when they promise that this time they'll really, really do a better job of working with us to let us know what the heck's going on?

Collapse
Posted by Talli Somekh on
Hey Don,

Are you saying that acs-workflow is not included, as in they did not issue any upgrades and have totally stopped working on it, or that it's incomplete?

I'm a little confused by what "trickling out" means.

tal

Collapse
Posted by Richard Li on
Hi Don, sorry about the lack of communication. The reason why ACS Workflow 4.3 didn't make it into 4.2 is because we had a very long beta period, and 4.3 was finished during the beta period. It didn't make sense for us to risk introducing regressions into the tree by swapping in the new workflow service during beta, so we decided to keep the old workflow in 4.2 as opposed to delaying 4.2 even more.

Jon, I'm confused about what you are trying to say. Have you been running 4.2 beta on your sites, and are you asking for the compelling need to upgrade to 4.2 final? If that's the question, then the answer is that there is none, and I'm happy that you're able to run a beta so reliably. If your question is what is the benefit of 4.2, I would say that the parties/groups stuff is significantly improved, the documentation is better, there have been significant bug fixes, and a bunch of other stuff I can't remember off the top of my head.

Why do we bother releasing ACS Tcl? I don't understand this question, either. We're releasing ACS because there are bug fixes that we want to give to our client teams and for the community. If OpenACS wants to take all of our code, that's great. If they don't, that's ok too. And if they want to take our stuff and improve it, that's even better than great. Sure, Tcl development has slowed a whole bunch and it isn't the focus of our resources, but that doesn't mean that we don't care!

Collapse
Posted by Jon Griffin on
My question is what changed between 4.2 beta and 4.2? The release notes don't say anything about fixes to parties/groups.

Running reliably? I don't think run-time stability was ever a problem, the 3 month old show stopper bugs that still haven't been fixed are a problem. If the release notes are truly release notes there have been in reality NO significant changes other than the glorious new logo and a couple of doc changes. Oh yeah, a couple of bug fixes.

I would still call this beta. When the problems reported in the SDM are addressed then a release is put out, then It will be a release. Logo changes don't make a release.

There are serious problems with 4.2TCL and I am dealing with them everyday. Please don't insult our intelligence and call this a release (at least a non-developer release).

There really is no reason to go from 4-2beta to 4.2.

Collapse
Posted by Connie Hentosh on
Can you list what are the bugs that you are running into? I was about to try ACS 4.x and was wondering what all the stability/show stopper bugs were. And do these effect the commerce module?

Thanks for your knowledge.