Forum .LRN Q&A: Help with custom portlet

Collapse
Posted by Ashem Yadava on
Hi

I am trying to create a custom portlet in dotLRN. When I create a new cusotm portlet, I can add it to a user portal template, community template, etc. However, when I return back to the user portal or community portal etc it does not show me the portlet that I have created though it shows it to be there in the template.

Also any changes I do to the user portal template like removing of the calendar, news, forums,etc do not get reflected on the main user portal.

Is there something more I need to do to creating and adding a portlet to dotLRN.

Thanks
Ashem Yadava

Collapse
Posted by Deirdre Kane on
Ashem,

You're not doing anything wrong.  These are two known issues which will be fixed with the 2.1 release.  With the release, you will have the option to 1) apply default portal template changes to all users universally or not and 2) custom portlets for the default portal templates will show up.

DeeDee

Collapse
Thanks DeeDee

I just want to know one more thing. Suppose I have a package called Notes. And instead of the user going to http://someserver.com/notes. I want that a link to the notes package should be displayed on main user portal and the user should be able to click on it and he will then be directed to the notes package.

Is there a way.

Also I want the site wide admin to be able to add this link to any portal like, community portal, classes, etc.

Kindly let me know.

Many thanks
Ashem

Collapse
Posted by Deirdre Kane on
Ashem,

If I am understanding you correctly, you would add the URL for Notes to either a custom portlet in the user portlet or add an icon to the page header, but either should be sufficient.  If Notes is on a separate server, they would have to login maybe,  but that's all.  Technically speaking, I think that adding an icon to the page header (say, next to Help and Logout) requires changing the adp for the page and creating the icon.

I hope this answers your question.

DeeDee

Collapse
Thanks DeeDee :))