Forum OpenACS Q&A: restart problem

Collapse
Posted by Nitish Bezzala on
Hi,

We have installed openACS 5.1.1 and we restarted the linux box without doing killall nsd . After linux started and we started openACS again, it started without a problem, but nothing shows up on the browser.
Any ideas ?

Thanks,
Nitish

Collapse
2: Re: restart problem (response to 1)
Posted by Bruno Mattarollo on
Can you see something in the error logs that would give a hint? Is the database up?

A "killall nsd" shouldn't change anything really, I would be more concerned about the database, if you didn't shut it down, that's were all the transactions happen.

Collapse
3: Re: restart problem (response to 1)
Oh, I didn't know that I should shut down the database, how do I do that ?
The error log shows nothing, but the other log file shows that /register/ is being called recursively.
Can I do something to fix this ?
Collapse
4: Re: restart problem (response to 2)
The database is working fine.
Collapse
5: Re: restart problem (response to 4)
Posted by Cathy Sarisky on
You'd normally have a script as part of your shut-down procedure that stops postgresql/oracle - we'll need more information on your OS if you want more information than that!    You _usually_ won't corrupt your database if you reboot the server with it running, but you'd be crazy to try it on a production server on a regular basis. :)

I wonder if your recursive /register call isn't the result of a permissions problem.  This problem would occur if you'd perhaps messed up the permissions on the main site instance?  (If you don't have permission to read /register, you get redirected to /register, which you don't have permissions to read, so....)  If you made any changes to the permissions recently, that could be the problem.  You'd need to manually grant The Public read permission on the main site instance.

If that sounds like what's going on (and you've recently muddled with permissions), I'd check in psql for a missing permission and replace it - if you need directions for exactly how to do so, please post and I'll dig mine up.

Collapse
6: Re: restart problem (response to 1)
Thanks Cathy

Yes, I think it is a permissions problem. I wanted the users to go to the login page first and thought if I removed permissions for the public to see the main site, then they would have to first login and then they could see it.

I think I better try to understand the permissions today, and I'll post again tomorrow if I haven't sorted it out.

Thanks a lot,
Nitish

Collapse
7: Re: restart problem (response to 5)
Posted by Antonio Laterza on
Hi Cathy
I "... muddled with permissions ..."
and I need to
"... manually grant The Public read permission on the main site instance.".

Can you post how can I solve my problem?
thanks
and thanks to tekbasse too for help on IRC.