Forum OpenACS Development: Re: A graphical installer for OpenACS & dotLRN

Collapse
Posted by Vlassis Rizopoulos on
Hello once more,

I am pleased to announce version 1.0.1 ;)

What have changed since the last version:
- All of the reported bugs concerning dotLRN have been fixed.
- Uploaded InstallAnywhere Configuration Files and Supplementary Files

There were 2 fatal bugs reported for dotlrn installations:

the first one involved a small number of stacks, I have changed this (I was suprised however that this is different than the required minimum for openacs). I changed the template configuration file and now the problem is gone.

the second bug involved a mystery around the AOL -> pgsql access. although openacs seems to access it via 127.0.0.1, dotlrn tries to access using the "real" ip of the PC (which makes me wonder what would happen if you install a demo on a PC without a network card ;)). Anyway a way around this was an extra line on the "config" file:

"%installdir%\cygwin\bin\bash" -c "ipconfig | /bin/grep 'IP Address' | /bin/sed -e 's#^.* : \(.*\)#\1#' | /bin/sed -e 's#.*#host all all & 255.255.255.255 trust#g' >> /var/postgresql/data/pg_hba.conf"

this would list all the ips declared on the NICs and append them to pg_hba.conf

(have I mentioned that I have started to hate regexp ?)

Anyway, I have also uploaded all the files that are used to pack the installer and I have also included a link on my site where you can find InstallAnywhere Now! ver 5.5 .

I still have 3 more problems to solve for windows that I cannot find a solution. I would be grateful if someone can come up with a useful idea about them.

a) When Aolserver receives a ns_shutdown , as described it shuts down. Although the user (because of the openacs/dotlrn message) expects the server to restart. Now in *nix installations this is handled by deamon tools, but I cannot seem to be able to find a solution like this for windows. I have played around with the "Recovery" tab in the services control panel, but this only works if the service is crashed. Unfortunately sending a ns_shutdown is recorded similar to net stop servicename . So the service is not considered "failed" and doesn't "recover"

b) Reference Data - Timezone, version 5.1.1 always fail to install. complaining it cannot open /tmp/psql-blabla

c) Now this is not really a problem, it is more of an incovenience. I want to hide cmd.exe so it doesn't keep on poping all the time like crazy (someone will eventually panic ;)). I tried replacing cmd.exe /C with start /MIN /WAIT , but java Runtime.Exec won't execute files that don't have .exe or .com extention ... and start is an embedded cmd.exe command like dir.

Now there are also some non-fatal bugs that appear. I am not sure though what cause them, and as far as I can tell, they don't create problems. An example of such a bug is the one mentioned by Shambhunath Borah. Can someone confirm that they are not affecting normal operation ?

Once more I would like to thank you for your feedback and I am looking forward to some more input from you.

Best Regards,
Vlassis

Collapse
Posted by Andrew Piskorski on
Vlassis, I've run AOLserver 4.0.7 on Windows as a Windows Service, which in principle, makes it pretty easy to have AOLserver auto-restart when killed, auto-start when the machine boots, etc.

In practice, bugs #772649 and #989725 makes things much more complicated, and I had to write a Tcl script to deal with that. (It makes use of PsTools from www.sysinternals.com - very handy.)

To install AOLserver as a Windows Service, use the -I switch, e.g.:

C:\nsd4\bin\nsd.exe -I -t C:\web\mysite\config.tcl

Bug #994224 is also Windows specific, but it sounds like Dossy's figured out a solution for that one. I probably won't get a chance to test his patch for a while yet, though.

Collapse
Posted by Andrew Piskorski on
Hm, no file storage enabled on openacs.org? One person asked me for it, so I went and quickly stuck my AOLserver restart script for MS Windows on my website. (You will probably need to change a few settings at the top of the script.)

After installing AOLserver as a Windows service, the Windows Service you just installed will be named something like "AOLserver-mysite". To get it to work the way you want, you now must manually change various settings for that service. I use these:

General:
Startup type: Automatic
Log On:
Log on as, This account: andy
Recovery:
all failures: Run a Program
Run program, Program: tclsh
Run program, Command line parameters: C:\web\mysite\bin\kill-nsd.tcl recover

(Grr, stupid Forums package, made me take the "colspan=2" out of my table above.)