Forum OpenACS Q&A: PL/psql with PHP scripts

Collapse
Posted by Rocco Siffredi on
Hi :

I want to use php script in my openacs system. However, I don't know to call Pl/psql functions with PHP.

Ideas?.

Thanks.

Collapse
Posted by Andrew Piskorski on
That is clearly a function of how PHP's database access works, not much of anything to do with OpenACS.

Are you running PHP in AOLserver? From your previous questions I assume you are.

First of all, why the heck do you want to call PL/SQL from PHP? Why not just call the PL/SQL from Tcl?

If you've ever done any AOLserver C programming, it probably wouldn't be too hard to hack in a simple interface to let you call aribtrary Tcl code from PHP. That should let you use the OpenACS DB API (including all use of PL/SQL) from PHP, although in a somewhat kludgy fashion. From there you could go on to write a nicer PHP wrapper to the OpenACS DB API, if you cared.

It would be a fairly neat little project, the only question is, why bother? My understanding is that, basically, PHP sucks compared to the Tcl and ADP facilities already present in AOLserver. Thus AFAIK, everyone using PHP in AOLserver is doing so only in order to run some off the shelf PHP app (like webmail) that they happen to like, not to do real development. So they generally just do the minimum amount of integration work necessary to get that app running nicely on their sites, rather than putting the time into giving PHP access to more of AOLserver and OpenACS's facilities.

And that's probably why no one has done this already...

Collapse
Thanks. I think so but i´m a simple worker and i need this "skills" becouse a project of my department needs this.
Collapse
Have you any example of php calling tcl?
And the opposite ones?

Thanks