Forum OpenACS Q&A: Why use OpenACS

Collapse
Posted by Jade Rubick on
I rewrote parts of the What is OpenACS section of the website, and renamed it Why use OpenACS.

I stole a bit from the thread on PHP. Thanks Malte and Talli, especially.

Someone should probably double-check this. I was doing this to cure my insomnia tonight :)

https://openacs.org/about/what-is-openacs

Collapse
2: Re: Why use OpenACS (response to 1)
Posted by Rocael Hernández Rizzardini on
Thanks for the contribution Jade!
Collapse
3: Re: Why use OpenACS (response to 1)
Posted by mark dalrymple on
I've tweaked the wording and fixed some late-night grammatical / sentence parsing problems I saw.  Take a peek and make sure I didn't ruin what you were trying to say.
Collapse
4: Re: Why use OpenACS (response to 3)
Posted by Jade Rubick on
Very nice editing, Mark. It looks like it could use even some more editing, but your edits were excellent!
Collapse
5: Re: Why use OpenACS (response to 1)
Posted by Talli Somekh on
here is some stuff that i usually add to my proposals. incorporate or use it as you wish. it's a bit dated, but can be easily brought up to speed. it may be a bit too wordy, but seems to work fairly well for the uninitiated.

talli
----

What is the OpenACS?

The OpenACS is a web application platform designed for high traffic community websites. The OpenACS is built using of open source technologies such as AOLserver and GNU/Linux or the BSD unices and uses either of two databases, Oracle or PostgreSQL. A community of software developers and users maintains the system through bug fixes, security patches, development enhancements and other tasks at the community home site OpenACS.org. This community consists of members that range from independent volunteers to large institutional agencies.

The OpenACS is a web application toolkit in a very crowded field of systems that purport to offer similar features. However, the following are reasons the OpenACS is a unique choice for high performance web applications.

Community in a Box

The OpenACS is a community system that is ready out-of-the-box for collaborative web sites. It provides functionality for discussions, content management, personalization and other mechanisms for users to communicate.In addition, the utilities available to extend this core functionality are easy to learn and to use.

Proven Architecture

The components of the OpenACS have proven themselves in the mostdemanding of applications. AOLserver is the backbone for AOL's most heavily trafficked sites. Both databases, Oracle and PostgreSQL, have likewise responded with excellent performance in demanding environments. And the OpenACS is in deployment at sites that have upwards of 40K users and is doing swimmingly.

Responsive Community

The OpenACS community is full of very professional and committed open sourcedevelopers. The forums on OpenACS.org are well trafficked with discussions concerning OpenACS enhancements, solutions to bugs and assistance tonewbies, among other things. Help is offered and questions encouraged bygurus, wizards and the odd mortal programmer

Commercial Support

There are over a dozen companies dedicated to providing clients with OpenACS development and hosting. In addition to these companies, there are many independent consultants that are available for hire. This collection of commercial providers works together to maintain the OpenACS in addition to competing for clients. In fact, often times the vendors work together for the same client. Most importantly, no client is ever left without support, even if his or her original provider goes out of business.

Excellent Documentation

Unique among open source projects, the OpenACS is very well documented.Community members are encouraged to document and distribute their new packages as well as address any lack of information in existing documentation.

Commitment of Heavy Hitters

Perhaps the most compelling reference for the OpenACS is the commitment ofsome very large and prestigious companies, institutions and nongovernmental organizations. These include the MIT Sloan School of Management which has initiated and led the development of .LRN, an open sourcecourseware system. Recently, the University of Heidelberg, the most prestigiousGerman university, rolled .LRN out for their 40K users. In addition, the OpenACS was used to build the CMS for Greenpeace.org, a site that handles millions of hits per day.

Collapse
6: Re: Why use OpenACS (response to 1)
i also find adding a section like this helps.

talli
----

Architectural Components

The OpenACS is built on a completely free and open source foundation. Nolicense fees will be incurred throughout the life of the system. All components, each of which has been tested in extremely high-demand environments, are freely available fordownload from the Internet. These components are:

GNU/Linux – The most well-known open source software system, GNU/Linux is an enterprise class server operating system. It is highly tested, supremely stable and extremely scalable. In addition, it has an enormous base of knowledge and a wealth of qualified users and administrators. GNU/Linux is currently running sites such as Amazon.com, EBay and Orbitz.com.

AOLserver – The middle tier of the OpenACS is the high performance web application server AOLserver. Used by America Online to power the busiest sites on the internet such as AOL.com, Netscape.com, Mapquest.com and Moviefone.com. AOLserver is similar in scope to servers such as BEA Weblogic, IBM's Websphere and Apache's Tomcat. The features that make it a strong server include

• a multi-threaded architecture for extremely efficient performance in high demand environments;
  • native database APIs for simplified database access
  • pooled database connections for fast, readily available database connectivity;
  • and an embedded scripting language (Tcl) for rapid development of business logic.
AOLserver is also open source and is freely available from AOLserver.com

PostgreSQL – PostgreSQL is the most advanced open source relational databaseavailable and was the first such database to be fully ACID-compliant (the requirements for a database to be called relational.)Begun as a project at the University of California at Berkeley, PostgreSQL has been in development for over 30 years. Until recently it was the database for Source Forge,premier repository of open source projects. Currently is it the database running the .INFO and .ORG registries.

OpenACS – Enterprise class toolkit for community oriented web applications. (See previous discussion)

Qmail – Qmail is an enterprise class Mail Transport Agent (MTA) that is runningservices such as Hotmail.com (as of 2002), Yahoo! Mail and Topica. It was developed to with security foremost in mind and has proven itself to be a workhorse for high volumeemail systems.

note - stick whatever OS, MTA or DB you want to use. but introducing and presenting them quickly helps.

Collapse
7: Re: Why use OpenACS (response to 1)
Posted by Jade Rubick on
Thanks, Talli. I added some of your section to the Why OpenACS doc.
Collapse
8: Re: Why use OpenACS (response to 1)
Posted by Alfred Essa on
Jade, Talli:

This is great. We will incorporate in our marketing materials for .LRN.

Collapse
9: Re: Why use OpenACS (response to 1)
The items I've added need to be updated, certainly, and checked for grammar, embarrassingly.

i will try and get to those soon. i am currently in the midst of trying to convince some folks that this stuff is neato whiz bang, so will need to do so anyway.

talli