Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Would Openacs benefit if it had an object oriented scripting language?

Harish,

I imagine all of the programmers working on OpenACS realize the benefits and drawbacks of object-oriented programming.

Me, I like OOP, but I'm not tied to it. I grew up in the procedural world of C, and I view OOP as a tool that has good and bad applications.

OpneACS started procedurally, and grew procedurally. There's no point (and not enough resources) in rewriting the hundreds of thousands of lines of code just so it can be OOP. Procedural works just fine, even though it also has its drawbacks.

It'd be interesting to see if one could use one of the Tcl OO extensions like XOTcl to write new OpenACS packages though, or even PyWX. I and a friend of mine recently looked at reviving PyWX (Python for AOLserver) and he almost got it to compile.

-Roberto

To my knowledge the university of vienna is using XOTcl for part of their custom code for .LRN. But I guess it really depends what you need this for.

If a new package would require the use of TCL LIB, we'd just add tcllib to the installation instructions, same can happen with XOTcl or other extensions that are loadable for OpenACS, so I don't think the community limits itself to just use TCL, but does not see much need for using something else (at the moment).

Actually, I do think we should think about supporting tcllib more, make use of it and get a decent API browser for the installed TCL commands.

hey Malte,
support for tcllib is indeed important, probaly add a search on the api-doc for commands, liking to http://tcllib.sourceforge.net/doc/category-index.html

thoughts?