Forum OpenACS Q&A: Wimpy for documentation development; SDM for Documentation Maintenance?

What if wimpy point was used for developing docs, but once they are released the development continues via tickets in the SDM? I can see the advantage of wimpy-point for rapid development and collaboration, but I also see a potential headache if the docs were to stay in there forever.

Having said that, let me digress into the maintenance side of the documentation...

What tools and methods will help OpenACS to have complete, outstanding documentation?
They will work by...

• Empowering the community to easily add value-added information for consideration for addition in the docs.
  • Empowering the maintainers of the docs to easily add this info.
  • The documentation should be easily published in several formats for easy searching, printing, and referencing.

• Without coming up with a new system, I think we can achieve a lot of the first two items by better integration of the docs with the SDM, as well as the SDM improvements that Roberto was talking about today.

I've put in a feature request for the docs to get labeled with version numbers, as well as more links be added, repeatedly stating that if readers have suggestions, changes, fixes, etc.-- to head over to the SDM and fill out a ticket. Since there is only one such link right now, this potentially will increase the number of suggestions and improvements.

Other Options--
    Don't forget that many gave suggestions for improving the docs not too long ago...
    https://openacs.org/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg.tcl?msg_id=0000Tr
    https://openacs.org/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg.tcl?msg_id=0001J2&topic_id=12&topic=OpenACS%204%2e0%20Design

I like the PHP style annotated docs-- but since this would require writing new software, I'm all for better integrating the SDM and running with that for documentation maintenance.

I don't think that regular comments should be enabled for the doc pages as some suggest; the docs are too dynamic of a document. If people are able to leave comments, then the editor needs to be able to roll these comments back into the docs (if they are helpful), and then delete the original comments. This sounds like the SDM to me...