Forum .LRN Q&A: Decentralized Learning Resources

Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
Decentralization of Learning Resources: Syndicating Learning Objects Using RSS, Trackback, and Related Technologies is a wiki to support a recent presentation at Educause 2004. The idea of sharing learning resources is very exciting. Now that we have a learning object repository in .LRN how can we enhance it to improve sharing those objects? OpenACS supports RSS and trackback so I think there is potential here.
Collapse
Posted by Rocael Hernández Rizzardini on
I think Ernie can comment more on this as the future of LORS, since using ims-cp to export you can share anything inside the CR. Indeed, RSS is a path for lots of application that do not uses IMS stuff. What its needed is investment on this to make it real for .LRN and for its success in the short term ...
Collapse
Posted by Ernie Ghiglione on
Dave,

Just as LORSm exposes metadata to the search engine (tsearch2) for discovery purposes, we could also create an RSS feed for these objects as well. That should be no problem at all.

I guess RSS has given the ability to non-tech-savvy people to easily discover what's new without having to search for it. However, I still believe search (and hopefully now that the soap-gateway is available) is much more powerful for discovery than RSS.

Nevertherless, this is duable.

Ernie