Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to Which Linux version to use?

Collapse
Posted by Vinod Kurup on
It seems that libxml2 needs to be version 2.3.5 or greater, and the current version in stable is 2.2.2. I'll grant you that the libxml2 in "testing" is 2.3.5, but I am trying to avoid installing anything more advanced than "stable" on this particular box.

I remember running into this issue and I ended up upgrading to testing (my box is for dev only). In your WimpyPoint, you mention that you might wait until version 2.3.5 gets into stable, but I don't think that'll happen. Debian's stable version will only get security updates (I think). One option would be to get the libxml2 2.3.5 source from testing and build it from source using 'apt-get source'. You'll need to add a deb-src URL to your /etc/apt/sources.list file. I haven't done this too much, so you'll want to check out the apt-get man page for more info on that approach.

https://openacs.org/wp/display/77/ is a WimpyPoint presentation where I am trying to document everything as I go along. Comments and suggestions are always welcome!

Looks great! You might want to change the link to my brief install guide. Right now, it links to the current version, but when I upload a new version (like I just did to fix the nsxml link), it'll still link to the old version. Instead, link to the file.