Forum OpenACS Q&A: Does the file-storage tree collapse?

Collapse
Posted by David Kerins on
We are using the 3.2.5 version on postgres 7.0.2 and are adding directories and filles to the file-storage module.  The directory tree is getting very long when the sub-directories and files are being added.  Is there any way to "collapse" the tree so that it only shows you the fisrt or second layer of the directory tree?

tia
david

Collapse
Posted by David Kuczek on
As far as I know there is no built in way to collapse the whole three or even a certain part of the tree, which would surely be a nice feature. Maybe in the new constructed file-storage for 4.x. We have customized file-storage so that the tree only shows the next depth, because our file-tree is going to grow to around 1000 folders. We don't necessarily want PG to show all documents at once.

P.S. You might want to switch to 7.1.2 as soon as it is out. We experienced some remarkable increases in performance. We are working with 7.1.1 (you have to patch the plpgsql bug first though)...
Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
Collapsing the tree's easy, I did it for a client a few months ago.  I didn't integrate it into our OpenACS 3 tree for two reasons, one of them still valid, i.e. it was part of a large rewrite which unfortunately for the most part wasn't of general interest (tied deeply into their own specific needs) and I thought we could just do it for OpenACS 4 which would be out by, oh, six months ago or whatever.

In other words, it was back before I knew that the original ACS 4 release would be something of a fiasco and therefore back when I thought we'd shift our efforts entirely to OpenACS 4 long before it's going to happen.

I suggest you submit it as an SDM feature request for the OpenACS 4 version.  It's easy to implement and there's no reason not to have it available for our first release.