Forum .LRN Q&A: Re: .LRN releases

Collapse
2: Re: .LRN releases (response to 1)
Posted by Bruce Spear on
Excellent outline, Rocael, and thanks for making the link to the last .LRN release process and roadmap thread!

I think the two cents metaphor is the best way to think of our little UAB as our discussions can be really good when developers are looking for two cents of well-meaning opinion and early enough in the design process that something might be done about it, AND in a way that leaves the developers feeling like they can pick and choose among the advice as they see fit.  So, give us something to do and I'd say chances are very good we'll rise to the occasion.

We might here think about the best way to do this.  We have had some great discussions via "reply all" email.  We do have a closed discussing forum.  And sometimes we have been active commenting out in the open on this forum. Personally, I prefer this open forum as it lets people know immediately what is going on and invites the contributions of many.  I got to know lots of folks through the Dotlrn Gardens thread, and I think there is a consensus that the design hammered out there remains a good one and on the table.

Which brings me to the first weakness of the UAB: we are not funding anything, and so our bright ideas (as I like to think of them) are completely dependent on those who might encourage, translate, and otherwise accommodate them.  Our original mission, as I understand it, is as a kind of Steering Committee, but in practice I think we have been more of a sounding board for those with funding or other motivation.  When I look back at the best moments, they have almost always been when a developer is working on something and has felt that a second or third opinion might help him/her and so was ready to hear -- with response times of a few hours or days -- some initial opinions.  I might add that we have done some more detailed design work on the forums, and so our two cents might also turn into four cents.

The second weakness, in my view, is that there are four of us appointed a year ago and we've got lots of new people on board.  Before we busy ourselves with the question of formal organization, I'd recommend that we simply conduct much of our business out here in the .LRN Q & A thread so that everyone who wants to participate is informed and welcome.

I'd love to discuss any one of the elements you have proposed above here in this space and then offer what I/we can with some of the details in a way that the developers might appreciate.  So, where might we begin?

All the best,

Bruce