Forum OpenACS Q&A: new Oak v1.0 released: CASE tool for OpenACS

Hi
I would like to announce a new version of OAK a tool that will help you, particularly new developers, create OpenACS applications while modeling, and much faster.
The ideas is simple:
0) download the code, it is java and shuld work on all platforms.
1) Create your UML model (Oak is an extension of ArgoUML, a great OS tool). Go to 'generate' code and chose OpenACS. This will create the data model (create and drop scripts) in the /sql/postgresql directory of your soon to be application. This part of Oak was created by Michael Wu earlier in the year.
2) 'Create' -> 'hypertext diagram' and you can design web page, data sources and interactions using webml. When you generate the code for this diagram, it will create the /www directory of your application with the tcl and adp files for each component.
The new version can be downloaded from Laetitia Duby's page: http://www.weg.ee.usyd.edu.au/people/laetitia/
but a link to the latest version will be at: http://www.weg.ee.usyd.edu.au/software/
This document has a longer description. We would appreciate your feedback and ideas. Rafael
Collapse
Posted by Nima Mazloumi on
Hi,

this is wonderful. Unfortunately I had a problem starting it on windows:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Illegal name: org/argouml/uml/ui/UMLoadSQLMenu

I guess the class is missing?

Greetings,
Nima

Excellent Rafael, we'll test it, where's this code to be maintained? (repository), since is quite useful, I would like to see it alive in the long term ...
Collapse
Posted by Rafael Calvo on
Nima
I teted it on OSX. I will ask Laetitia (she is back in France) to have a look.

Roc,
The code will be maintained at WEG. I am hoping to get a new student cntinuing the work.
The first thing is making sure that it is easy to install and runs on all platforms.
Second is a better integration between the data model and hypertext components.

The end goal is to have a prototyping tool like all other framework vendors have.

Rafael

Rafa,
good to hear that the code will be maintained by WEG, I would like to suggest to use cvs.openacs.org to as a repository for the code. The openacs community encourages everyone to develop any general interest tool (like Oak) using cvs.openacs.org, since its easier for other developers to grab it, instead of looking for the thread where it was annouced.
Collapse
Posted by Alfred Werner on
Thanks to Laetitia, Michael, Rafael, and WEG in general .. worked right out of the box for me on windows. Now to dust off my UML skills!
Collapse
Posted by Robert Taylor on
Does anyone know the status of the OAK project?

Just curious as we are working through some tight specs for a new a application and UML might be helpfull.

Anyone still using this?