Forum OpenACS Development: OpenACS Documentation, links and bibliography

Hi,

I have been thinking about how to manage external links from the OpenACS, and create a bibliography.  The idea is to make it easier to maintain changes in references to external locations, provide a bibliography, and an independently scrollable reference for browsing by using a second window for further reading etc.

Each external link would instead, point to a bibliographic entry on a reference page (internal to the documentation). The bibliography entry would include reference code, title, author(s), external url or other standard reference info. There could be a reference page for each sub system (aolserver, postgresql, oracle, other).

Docbook 4.3 supports this. References would use "citebiblioid" for bibliography that references external sources. ulink would be avoided. Internal sources would use the "link" tag with "linkend" attribute to another tag's id.  The tag set bibliomixed,bibliomisc,xref would be avoided, since xref generates tags that are not controlled directly, and so may result in problem references over time.

Thoughts, comments?

ps. I'd be glad to do the work of converting the links and creating the initial bibliography.

Torben

Collapse
Posted by Joel Aufrecht on
sounds good to me.  Please feel free to start updating the xml directly, and email me so I can verify that the changes compile cleanly.