Forum .LRN Q&A: Re: LRN Application Status Discussion - File Storage

Collapse
Posted by Matthew Geddert on

the UI for fastmail.fm's file-storage aspects is pretty good if you ask me. The three things I think are best that could easily be included in file-storage are:

1. it allows renaming of files en-mass (there is a form field in the file list with the name in it - you can edit it directly and then update the whole list)
  2. it also allows easy copying/moving of files between folders. We could use listbuilder for this, so there can be checkboxes on the left for all files or selecting a few and then there could be a drop down list somewhere so you can select which folder to move/copy to
  3. you can go to an upload page that lets you upload 10 files at once (that aren't zipped together)... i.e. bulk upload.

I think Malte's ideas are great. Instead of bitorrent we could use md5sum (only because its more common)... but which one we use doesn't matter to me. I really like the idea of storing a text version for searching.

The most sorely missing technical thing if you ask me is quotas. I think there should be three ways of doing this, by the:

• file-storage instance
  • file-storage folder (which might be the way we want to do it since an instance has a root folder, and we can implement limits on that folder)
  • user on the system... i.e. no matter where you upload the files john doe can only own up to 15MB of files or however else we want ot set that up. This would be a sysem wide configuration not a per instance, and it would require the ability to ascribe custom levels for different users so it might not be worth the effort. It might be easier to just say in a users "my files" folder they may only have 15MB of files or whatever the limit you want is.