Forum OpenACS Development: Howto for mirroring OpenACS CVS to Arch ?

I'm looking for a howto on automatically mirror the OpenACS CVS repository with our arch installation.
Collapse
Posted by Jade Rubick on
I've written up a document on how to use Arch to deploy websites, and make local modifications. But I haven't gone as far as to mirror the OpenACS CVS repository, and do two-way communications.

There is some stuff on the Arch Wiki on how to do this, but I think it's going to take some work and some careful thinking on how to do it.

My initial impression is that we should use build-configs, in the same way that the Arch project itself does. Each package could then be a config, and users could then do commits and updates on each config. I have almost no experience doing this, but I'm interested in learning how to.

After using Arch a little in deplyoed websites, I think it's godsent. It is such a leap forward beyond CVS it's not even funny. It's perfect for web development, because you want to have local customizations but still track the OpenACS code stream.

It also makes using the remote installation feature on OpenACS useful and workable. CVS doesn't work for this because the CVS directories get overwritten. Arch plays well with our current way of doing things.

Malte, I'm interested in helping out with this. Ideally, what I'd like to see is an Arch repository sitting on cvs.openacs.org, so that developers can use either one.

For reference, the document I wrote is at: http://www.rubick.com/openacs/acs

Note that I'm in the process of updating the document. I'm making it only use one user instead of several, and only one archive. I haven't pushed these changes out yet, because I'm only halfway through updating it.

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
Thanks Jade, I will take a look. But the mirroring was only intended one way anyway (from openacs.org to our arch), so I seriously hope your document takes me there. Looking forward to the update.
Collapse
Posted by Jade Rubick on
Malte, I updated the document.

It's still not completely tested with this version (I'm only through the dev branch portion), but they're pretty close:

http://rubick.com:8002/openacs/arch

I think once the document is done, it will be a very robust way of doing things. I have set up a website with a similar configuration, and it is working very well for me. (Much better than CVS ever did).