Forum .LRN Q&A: Adding a new portlet to a user's workspace portal

I am looking at how to add a new portlet to a user's workspace portal.  Anyone have a good example I can look at on how to get this done?

I have seen an example or two on how to add a portlet to a community but my application is user specific and does not relate to a community so it shouldn't show up there.  I have been looking at the 'dotlrn main' portlet.  My portlet should be similar but I need to figure out the details of how to get my portlet listed on the configure page for a user's portal.

Ultimately what I am trying to do is integrate an existing application into dotlrn where a miniature view of the application shows up on the users' workspace portal where they can click on a link in the portlet and get thrown into the application.

Jon Rowell

Once the portlet is installed through the APM, should appear as an option to the user. But you can also create a customized portlet (static) for users at /dotlrn/admin/portal-templates.

If you want to add it to new users (those who has not yet a user-portal), you must put it at the template for user-portals, manually entering it to the database (sorry, I think there's no UI for this case).  Look at portal::create (portal::create.create_new_portal) for more info. And if you need it for users that already have a portal, you will need to create an script to add it in the proper place.

Collapse
Posted by Jon Rowell on
I have added my applet to dotlrn but it shows up in the list of applets for communities.  If I add the applet to a community I am joined to then it will show up in my user portal (which is what I want but I do not want to have to join a community for the applet to show up).  I do not want my applet to show up in the list of applets for communities.  It should only be an option for a user's portal.  What modifications should I make to my applet?

Is this what you were talking about when you were saying I should look at portal::create?  I am having a hard time deciphering what it is that portal::create does.

My applet should behave very similarly to the dotlrn_main_applet.  I noticed that it does not show up in the dotlrn_applets table.  Dotlrn_dotlrn does but I am unsure of what that does.

Thanx for any info you can give me.

Jon Rowell

maybe static-portlet will work better for you?
Collapse
Posted by Jon Rowell on
Unfortunately, static won't work for me because I will be displaying
information that is user specific.

Jon Rowell