Forum OpenACS Development: Response to Proposal for Tcl/SQL contract

Collapse
Posted by Dan Chak on
Domingo, your solution addresses the obscurity of variables, but I don't think it's a good solution for a couple reasons.

• The query dispatcher is already a reality. Questioning its existance seems, at least to me, to be a moot point already. My proposal will still work with the query dispatcher as-is (it already ignores the second variable passed to a db-proc, which it can continue to do unless we want contract enforcement), whereas your script solution calls for a large change to the acs-core.
  • Having vestigial sql code in tcl files will be extremely error prone. For your solution to be viable, programmers should not be allowed to edit the tcl files to fix sql code. They would still have to edit the .xql file, and then run a script that would update the tcl file. I can envision people accidentally editing the tcl file and then obliterating their changes when they later run the script.

So I'm still keeping the same proposal of a short contract in the db proc that in essance is little more than an enforced comment. The decision to keep tcl and sql code separate is a good one, but there does need to be some level of obviousness in the tcl logic code as to where variables are coming from.

The system as-is is fine for porting, but it will be a nightmare when writing and debugging new modules, which I think we can all agree, is what will determine the longevity of OpenACS. Having to ask questions like "which file am I allowed to edit?" or "where did that variable come from?" will make it very unapealing for people to develop new modules.