Forum OpenACS Q&A: Can't access aolserver from another machine

Collapse
Posted by Paul Sharples on
Hello All.

Thanks, Jonathan, for putting these RPMs together - one more barrier to OpenACS adoption has just disappeared.

True to form, about 3 minutes after sourcing the files, I had a working OpenACS - but only if I access it from the local machine. Whenever I try accessing the TCP port on which aolserver is listening from another machine, the connection is refused.

I've verified this by trying to telnet to port xxxx (I've changed the aolserver port to both 80 and 8000+). If I do this operation from the local host, I can type "GET /" and see the index.html page come back; from any other machine, telnet is refused.

It's not a DNS problem; ping works [from another machine], and I can access web pages via Tomcat sitting behind port 8080.

The logfile (defaultacs.log) doesn't show any warnings or errors. The only curious thing I've noticed is that the final ns_log_notice in nsd.tcl ("... finished reading config file ...") doesn't appear in the logfile. I've no idea at all why this message would not be displayed but I haven't considered it important because of the ability to access OpenACS locally.

My current thinking is that it's something to do with nsperm. The hosts.deny and hosts.allow are both empty; is this significant?

I should say that I'm running on Redhat6.2, with RPM upgraded to version 4. The aolserver rpm is aolserver-3.2-4+ad12+nsxml.i386.rpm. My Redhat admin skills are very limited, basically because the machine didn't need any post-install configuration and is so damn reliable that I rarely have to resort to troubleshooting.

Any ideas for other things I can check? Any more information I can provide?

Thanks.