Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to What is a WIKI

Collapse
Posted by Ben Adida on
Jerry, what is is exactly that you want? You want a steering committee, but you don't want a poll to pick a new webmaster. You want to be able to add a poll, but I suspect you don't want 2500 people to be able to add polls to the openacs.org web site. You want experimentation, but you want a steering committee to set policy and direction, which is hardly a way to achieve experimentation. And you want a wiki, that much is clear.

I'm doing the best I can to understand how to proceed here:

• If you want some space on OpenACS.org to implement .NET hooks, SOAP, or any other project where you can manage the entire SDM segment, just email me. You will have that space within a few hours, and I will also personally support this effort because I, too, think it's a good thing.
  • If you want to help PG have an OpenACS-backed site, I'll put you in touch with Marc Fournier. He, Don and I discussed this a while back, but it faded when everyone became too busy to make it happen. If you have the time, I'd love to have you take over that role and get the PG guys to use our stuff.
  • If you want to really experiment with a Wiki, take risks, etc... do you think that OpenACS.org is the place to do this? I don't. However, if you want to set up a box and run a Wiki, I will point wiki.openacs.org to it, and I will make a link from the front page of OpenACS.org. How does that sound?
  • My poll is no strawman. David said he wanted it. I won't make a decision on the steering committee until Don gets back, but I can make a decision on the webmaster situation given that I am the current webmaster.

Again, I am begging you to put forth serious reasons why a steering committee would improve the situation. "More organization" is not an end, it is a means. A means to what? What are we not accomplishing because we don't have enough organization?