Forum OpenACS Development: Response to OpenACS 4 Search Integration, what should it look like?

The Russians who developed it have been the code base on their Russian portal site for months, where they've got roughly 500,000 documents averaging 2-3 pages in length indexed.  They claim it is working well.

The code base has also been used to index the 160,000 posts in the various postgres mailing lists, and it seems to be working well there, too.

Neophytos has posted this information in the past, and the current status.html file makes mention of it and includes and invitation to e-mail him directly if you have further questions.

Since you do, why don't you?

As far as the rest of your rant goes, if you're tired of Tcl, like Apache and Tomcat, and are primarily concerned with being able to sell
OpenACS into existing organizations who are more interested in buzzword compliance than in capabilities, well, then I think ACS 5 will better fit your needs than OpenACS 4.x.

Besides which I'm unconvinced that either swish or htdig have the buzzword compliance sheen necessary to make them an easy sell into these organizations.

If you really want a swish solution to be available in OpenACS - do it!  Build it on top of the CR and it can be offered as an alternative
search strategy.  As I said in my previous note, I'd love to see alternatives available.

But you're not really suggesting an alternative.  You're arguing that
we not pursue the workable solution we already have, and that ain't going to happen.

Mostly you're arguing that we do things your way, though, aren't you?

That argument would carry a lot more weight if you were actually contributing to the project.  The OpenFTS solution has floated to the
top of the list because Neophytos (with some urging and advice from me)  picked it up and ran with it, including helping the Russian company that paid for the implementation figure out licensing issues.

Swish was on my original status sheet as an option, but no one picked it up and ran with it.  So I took it off.  If you want to see it implemented ... implement it!