Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to public scope addressbook

Collapse
Posted by Hans Gaasenbeek on

Some remarks regarding the implementation of a new address-book:

Quoting ACS's address-book documentation:
"This module, which contains nothing remotely fancy, has lots of room for improvement, for instance, categorization of people (personal vs. business) or other ways of browsing records. It also should have ways to share records in the standard ACS way: public, group, and private ownership."

As a matter of fact, a first data model has been created for a 'fancy' address book. (For the moment, this exists only in M$ Access format (sorry).) In the first place, it is capable of distinguishing between persons and organizations. This is done through the table 'relations'. Secondly, it can distinguish between roles that these relations can play (which may overlap). E.g. customers, vendors, employees. Thirdly, address and telephone data is maintained through the Relations Table. The Relations Table is linked to the following tables:

e-mail addresses

website addresses

visiting addresses

mail addresses

home phone numbers

work phone numbers

mobile phone numbers

home fax numbers

work fax numbers

Because of this structure, there is no restriction to the amount of e-mail addresses that the database can contain, since the database is fully normalized. Integrity is maintained up to a certain level.

If anyone is interested in the model, please e-mail me. I will present the data-model here next week (so it will be accessible by anybody). Information about it can be found here.

Is there anybody around capable of porting a model like this to SQL and TCL? I guess an address-book like this is a valuable enhancement of existing functionality.